Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multipath TCP Support Is Working Its Upstream - First Bits Landing With Linux 5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipath TCP Support Is Working Its Upstream - First Bits Landing With Linux 5.6

Phoronix: Multipath TCP Support Is Working Its Upstream - First Bits Landing With Linux 5.6

We've already been looking forward to Linux 5.6 with already there being a lot of good stuff coming and now it's even more exciting: at least the prerequisites have been merged overnight for Multipath TCP (MPTCP) support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have two wifi networks configured in my home. One 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz. Wan is 250 MBit.
    Speedtest over cable gives ~252 Mbit/s, speedtest over my 5 GHz wifi gets around 160 Mbit/s
    Does this make so I can use one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz adapter in my computer for better wifi performance?
    Does router need the support for it too?

Comment

Due to some instabilities of OpenWrt recently I've been switching networks quite often and it really was quite annoying how long the switch took, even the desktop/applications can freeze in these situations. So this seems like a great feature, can't wait to get it :-)

Comment

is this for LAN only? is it even useful for regular user with or without a router?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          I have two wifi networks configured in my home. One 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz. Wan is 250 MBit.
          Speedtest over cable gives ~252 Mbit/s, speedtest over my 5 GHz wifi gets around 160 Mbit/s
          Does this make so I can use one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz adapter in my computer for better wifi performance?
          It might make sense in your case to check why it's that slow over 5GHz. But if it comes to multipath, it matters wheather you have two antennas on both devices, otherwise they can't do both at the same time and then you also slow down every device around you as for higher 5GHz rates the router needs to use multiple antennas at once anyway.

The better thing to do is to have a 5GHz only network (if there is no legacy device) and get proper hardware.

Comment

If I'm reading the slides right, both the client and server need to support MPTCP, but not the middleboxes like your router (although you would need to disable any packet mangling features like "game mode" that some routers have).

Comment

the router (and any other network infrastructure for that matter) don't care about this.

The end points (the PC and the server you are connected to) must support this as they split or join the packets to show as a single connection to the applications.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                is this for LAN only? is it even useful for regular user with or without a router?
                technically no, but both end points must support this feature or it won't work.

Comment

Sounds a lot like my experience when I had my wifi-router doing NAT. After I added another device to do router/firewall tasks the wifi could do full speed.

Edit: To clarify, so I added another computer to do firewall/natting to my network between my ISP and the wifi router which allowed me to use the whole 250 Mb/s on wifi. I think the wifi router just wasn't powerful enough to do it on its own, especially with OpenWRT that can't use all the hardware capabilities.
                  Last edited by Tomin; 11 January 2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Someone tell them that they are reinventing sctp,which is available on Linux for ages.

Comment

Working...
                    X