Systemd "Path Images" Feature Allows Mounting Images At Arbitrary Paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd "Path Images" Feature Allows Mounting Images At Arbitrary Paths

Phoronix: Systemd "Path Images" Feature Allows Mounting Images At Arbitrary Paths

A new work-in-progress feature for systemd is "PathImages" though there is a suggestion this option be renamed to "MountPaths", but in any case is about allowing arbitrary images / block devices to be mounted at any path by systemd...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...PathImages-WIP

Pretty sure I could find a use for the "Mount this image at this path" for a service - actually seems like a pretty handy thing

Comment

So what's different than simply doing "mount /path/image.bin /some/where -o loop" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
        So what's different than simply doing "mount /path/image.bin /some/where -o loop" ?
        Nothing, the new option is to configure a mount in a systemd service unit, not to replace the mount command

Comment

Whats the difference in this and actual .mount files of systemd?
          https://www.freedesktop.org/software...emd.mount.html

I using them for years as replacement for the fstab and also to mount my backup drive before the backup runs.

Comment

From how it's written, I assume this to be per-service mount namespaces that'll be used, which is interesting - and I can definitely see cases where it'd be useful both for security reasons as well as for compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Nothing, the new option is to configure a mount in a systemd service unit, not to replace the mount command
              Give systemd some time. Embrace, Enhance, Eliminate

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Give systemd some time. Embrace, Enhance, Eliminate
                Don't forget your own modest part in the community EEE process: Err, Encumber, Exasperate

Comment

Another round of applause for Lennart working hard on new capabilities and powerful new features for this next hearty release for this open source suite of technology. I hope we will see many more advanced features, customizability and capabilities being added to make systemd more flexible, powerful and versatile in the year to come for a vast variety of needs and use cases. Remember folks, its all open source and available for use as people deem fit. Keep up the good work Lennart!

Comment

Is Systemd going to kill Docker and Kubernetes?

Comment

Working...
                    X