No announcement yet.

Torvalds' Comments On Linux Scheduler Woes: "Pure Garbage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post deleted. It seems Michael doesn't like jokes about the holy Code of Conduct. But there's plenty of name calling & trolling in here anyway.

Comment

now that cheap cpus have 12 execution threads or more. can't we implement a gaming mode where apps (desktop, firefox, discord, ...) will run on one core and game threads will have their dedicated cpu threads to avoid scheduling at all? Like what they are doing on video gaming consoles where video game developers are in charge of the scheduling while one cpu core is reserved to the operating system. in video gaming, cooperative > preemptive.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Windows is not better here though, also games utilizing only few threads then show heavy stutter as well.
        Except on Windows I've never had music playback stop while doing something intensive. For example. I could come up with other random examples, but why bother. Linux is just not as stable as a desktop OS as Windows. At least not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Except on Windows I've never had music playback stop while doing something intensive. For example. I could come up with other random examples, but why bother. Linux is just not as stable as a desktop OS as Windows. At least not for me.
          Well, you could try to find out why it's not for you, while it probably is for others.

Comment

Originally posted by PreparationH67 View Post

Cool story hypocrite racist.
            I should have mentioned that im living in europe and that rap music was part of the youth culture in the late ninties. It was adopted racism free be youngsters. basicaly everyone was having baggy pants and were listining to rap - like in the 60ies everyone had the hairstyle of the beatles and skinny jeans. but mostly it was rap with a lot of swearwords to upset the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

My point is that, to me, that analogy makes the original argument come across as less grounded in reality and more in the kind of stale "black culture is the problem" out-of-touchness Bill O'Reilly used to spew on Fox News.

Could you proofread and repeat that? I'm having trouble making sense of it.
              well i should have mentioned earlier that rap music is precevied differently in europe. when i was a teenager as discribed it was just the cool music everyone was listening too. the most of us were just learning english as second language therefore only catchy words and phrases where understood. so you can guess that especially certain rap songs containing a lot of rude expressions were used to upset the generation of our parents. that lead to a growing euro rap subculture with mostly guys posing with money/cars/girls and drugs including breaking social conventions by utilizing rude language. btw this subculture especially here in germany is driven by white people - and this is what i was refering to.

Comment

Originally posted by menasaw683 View Post
                Suggesting otherwise is just SJW-foolishness.
                This isn't the first time this has been brought up. Tech is getting flooded with these people, many here on Phoronix.
                So many, I am surprised they haven't pushed for a Phoronix forum Code of Conduct.
                When you are raised in a culture where even last place gets a trophy, hearing someone provide constructive criticism at the work place may become a triggering event.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

well i should have mentioned earlier that rap music is precevied differently in europe. when i was a teenager as discribed it was just the cool music everyone was listening too. the most of us were just learning english as second language therefore only catchy words and phrases where understood. so you can guess that especially certain rap songs containing a lot of rude expressions were used to upset the generation of our parents. that lead to a growing euro rap subculture with mostly guys posing with money/cars/girls and drugs including breaking social conventions by utilizing rude language. btw this subculture especially here in germany is driven by white people - and this is what i was refering to.

I wasn't referring to the "black" part of it... just the stale grandpa-y out-of-touchness. I'm sure there are equivalent examples in Europe, but, as a Canadian, I don't know them.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

In different threads I have seen this "Google Developer" thing. From what I understood, he is game developer working for a studio targeting Google Stadia. Huge difference.
                    It seems you're right.

Comment

In the original author's blog post (link), he claims:
                      I spent months trying to find good benchmarks, (still not entirely successful) writing my own spinlocks, mutexes and condition variables and even contributing a patch to the Linux kernel.
                      Does anyone know what the patch was for? Was it accepted?

Also, it's kinda sad it took him months to realize that userspace spinlocks were a bad idea. And even then, I think it was only the data that convinced him.

Comment

Working...
                      X