Torvalds' Comments On Linux Scheduler Woes: "Pure Garbage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    oh yes... Like that manly feeling after getting the first pubic hairs I guess?
    Thanks for the lecture, but the problem you and many others make is comparing Linus to other "project leaders" and Linux to other "software projects."

No, they are not Linus and they are not Linux. Save your bogus analogies. Not many people have built an operating system from the ground up and maintained it for 20+ years to the scale he has. He knows what he is talking about and there are FEW that are even on that level. Put some fucking respect on his name, young man.

Terms like "garbage" are prevalant is software (e.g. garbage collection, memory has garbage values), so he called it for what he saw it. And you know what, maybe I'd be a little peeved too if someone made a blog post attacking the Linux scheduler without the proper context and knowledge to back it up. And on top of that, he went in to great lengths to explain the situation to further the discussion.

So save your bullshit about "psychology" and "overcompensating" for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      Linus sets an example of how you will be received if you tell something on the mailing list that you believe is right
      when you accuse someone of your faults, not when you just tell something

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        BMQ is a promising alternative worth mentioning as well. This YouTube video comparing CFS, BMQ, MuQSS, and PDS in games shows consistent improvement in FPS and frame times. So I can only speak on gaming and overall desktop interactivity, but BMQ (as well as CFS) has been working well for me with the low-latency kernel on my desktop.
        Well, what I wrote was not to judge BMQ in any negative way. It's just that MuQSS is more well known. Probably the most well known alternative scheduler. And therefore likely to receive more attention with regards to bug reports and support from the community.

Comment

linus knows locking and scheduling better than he knows c++, you can safely quote him here

Comment

i decided to read blogpost which started subj and i made it to "In a video game, where you have to get a picture on the screen every 16 ms or 33 ms (depending on if you’re running at 60hz or 30hz) a stall that takes more than a millisecond is terrible". it's hard to expect correct lock implementation from someone who just defined my 240 hz freesync monitor out of existence

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              i decided to read blogpost which started subj and i made it to "In a video game, where you have to get a picture on the screen every 16 ms or 33 ms (depending on if you’re running at 60hz or 30hz) a stall that takes more than a millisecond is terrible". it's hard to expect correct lock implementation from someone who just defined my 240 hz freesync monitor out of existence
              They're talking about it in the context of Google Stadia, which is 60Hz (in theory).

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                It's 2020 and the old, grumpy Torvalds is back. Oh, how I missed his rudeness I have to say that the Linux scheduler definitely needs improvements though. BMQ works so much better in terms of system responsiveness when compiling packages and frametimes in games.
                His tone in this is a far cry from his previous rude outbursts. I'd say it's actually quite productive here, even though he calls the code "garbage" and such.

Comment

Well whatever is going on I hope it leads to some decent latency fixes down the road and not a bunch of people swearing at each other then walking away from projects...

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    They're talking about it in the context of Google Stadia, which is 60Hz (in theory).
                    he is porting rage 2 to stadia, so why not define context as rage 2?

Comment

Just by seeing how some people here consider the Google developer to "showed himself a fool", or that he "sucks", or that he "was talking mostly out of his rear", or even making a general affirmation that "Google is becoming pathetic". This explains why words are important. If Linus would have been less rude, maybe you lot would have been less rude too.

This, to me, is the exact definition of a toxic community.

I know other open source communities where you can be told you're wrong without telling you you're stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X