EXT4 In Linux 5.6 To See Big Write Performance Boost For Direct I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 In Linux 5.6 To See Big Write Performance Boost For Direct I/O

Phoronix: EXT4 In Linux 5.6 To See Big Write Performance Boost For Direct I/O

For those of you running EXT4 with Direct I/O on the likes of Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory or PMEM simulated via a virtual machine, better write performance is coming when overwriting already allocated blocks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there an everyday (or at least not uncommon) scenario where this may bring improvements?

Comment

I think of databases.

Comment

Once the RAM is full the operating system crashes the computer. Why? I currently use the 5.0 kernell and ext4 on Kde Neon operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Once the RAM is full the operating system crashes the computer. Why? I currently use the 5.0 kernell and ext4 on Kde Neon operating system.
          I'm not trying to be an ass, but, how exactly does EXT4 have anything to do with you running out of RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I'm not trying to be an ass, but, how exactly does EXT4 have anything to do with you running out of RAM?
            He probably didn't created a Swap partition/file and is looking for a fix the laziest way.

Comment

Yeah, don't you just hate it when your writes are limited to 3GB/s? :P

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

He probably didn't created a Swap partition/file and is looking for a fix the laziest way.
                Not to feed the off topic beast, but I get the same thing periodically and I have a healthy swap. It's not an EXT4 issue. Its a general Linux issue when under memory pressure and has been covered in various blogs including Phoronix. Google can be his friend.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I don't know if ext4 is envolved in the issue, however I have 8GB of RAM and once they are all occupied the swap partition doesn't help and the computer crashes. I assume that ext4 is envolved in file management. The computer begins to take access of hard drive continuously making the computer unusable once the memory is full.

Comment

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
                    I think of databases.
                    Yup, databases might feel some love, though not necessarily all of them - Postgre is using mostly buffered I/O, while e.g. MySQL and clones (as well as Oracle iirc) use Direct I/O. So your mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
                    X