Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reiser5 File-System In Development - Adds Local Volumes With Parallel Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

By your logic, he makes most of his money from the Outreachy and SystemD threads. For some reason, those seem to attract the most mad butthurt people there is.
    I think you misquoted and meant starshipeleven.

Comment

None of these filesystems are performant to modern standards. Reiser has no work with them. At very least take his name off them, but even still no one cares because EXT4, JFS, XFS and F2FS are already more than enough.
      Here are some benchmarks:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

R4 is all over the map, sometimes better or in the same league as ext4. That doesn't really say much about where r5 will land.

​​​​​​

Comment

Am I the only one that hopes they KEEP the name?
        This decade is an interesting one, with the snow-flake generation and social justice warriors coming out in full force.
        Hans may have done a horrible thing, but that does not mean we have to eradicate from existence every positive thing he has accomplished.
        I should have prefaced this paragraph with a Trigger Warning, my apologies.

Comment

Congratulations to Edward!
          If it is changed enough, it would probably be good to use a different name. NamesysFS as suggested here might work if there is no copyright.
          If it is good enough for today's standards, I hope he can mainline it. If not, maybe Kent Overstreet can get some good ideas from there (although it might be too late for changes like these).

Comment

By your logic, he makes most of his money from the Outreachy and SystemD threads. For some reason, those seem to attract the most mad butthurt people there is.
            Yes, correct. The more people interact and see the ads the more he is paid. This is how all journalism and "free internet services" like youtube work.

Don't expect huge dividends of course, especially for a site talking about Linux like Phoronix
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 31 December 2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tedder View Post

Here are some benchmarks:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

R4 is all over the map, sometimes better or in the same league as ext4. That doesn't really say much about where r5 will land.

​​​​​​
              As described, Reiser5 is still Reiser4 + additional multi-disk software raid features on top so I would expect it to not change THAT much performance wise, besides the performance coming from RAID configuration themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                Am I the only one that hopes they KEEP the name?
                This decade is an interesting one, with the snow-flake generation and social justice warriors coming out in full force.
                Hans may have done a horrible thing, but that does not mean we have to eradicate from existence every positive thing he has accomplished.
                I should have prefaced this paragraph with a Trigger Warning, my apologies.

Ah I see you're a man of culture as well.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  More sweet tears, I'm so lucky today.
                  Shut up. Rolling my eyes at a stupid naming decision != tears.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Shut up. Rolling my eyes at a stupid naming decision != tears.
                    Yes it's tears even if you rationalize it as contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Yes it's tears even if you rationalize it as contempt.
                      Speaking of rationalization...

Comment

Working...
                      X