Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reiser5 File-System In Development - Adds Local Volumes With Parallel Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Speaking of rationalization...
    I must be drunk from all the tears I drank

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I must be drunk from all the tears I drank
      Keep telling yourself that. Happy New Year and drink something better.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
        Am I the only one that hopes they KEEP the name?
        This decade is an interesting one, with the snow-flake generation and social justice warriors coming out in full force.
        Hans may have done a horrible thing, but that does not mean we have to eradicate from existence every positive thing he has accomplished.
        I should have prefaced this paragraph with a Trigger Warning, my apologies.
        Same attitude recently for TorBirdy: "who cares about it, Appelbaum was outed as a rapist!!1!1"

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

People look at you strange if you point out 2020 is the last year of the second decade of the 21st C. Same as if pointing out 2000 is the last year of the 20th C. People are idiots.
          Not everyone who does not suffer from autism is an idiot, but to autists they just seem like so. Last decade ended yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
            Am I the only one that hopes they KEEP the name?
            This decade is an interesting one, with the snow-flake generation and social justice warriors coming out in full force.
            Hans may have done a horrible thing, but that does not mean we have to eradicate from existence every positive thing he has accomplished.
            I should have prefaced this paragraph with a Trigger Warning, my apologies.
            Plus, we should assume that people coming out of a correctional facility are ... well ... corrected and are now fit for our society again. If we doubt that a criminal of whatever sort can be redeemed, we can as well just shut down all prisons and execute people right after trial. At the end it would be the same, since we effectively punish them life long, no matter what a judge and jury decided.

Back to the name: if someone got hurt BECAUSE of the filesystem, I could totally understand outrage about the name. But afaik the murder and Reiser's work were two separate things. Should everyone who is named Reiser change his/her name because it could be associated to someone of the same name committing murder? That could be fun for basically every other name out there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
              Plus, we should assume that people coming out of a correctional facility are ... well ... corrected and are now fit for our society again. If we doubt that a criminal of whatever sort can be redeemed, we can as well just shut down all prisons and execute people right after trial. At the end it would be the same, since we effectively punish them life long, no matter what a judge and jury decided.
              That's a logical fallacy. Actually two. The first is that you assume that just because the US "correctional" system fails to do its job, the job is impossible and therefore its useless to try. Other countries have better and much more successful systems in place. They work, because they are not based on revenge and not privatized. The second fallacy is that you seem to equate life long imprisonment with death, which is quite obviously wrong. People have lived decent and even productive lifes in prison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_literature

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

That's a logical fallacy. Actually two. The first is that you assume that just because the US "correctional" system fails to do its job, the job is impossible and therefore its useless to try. Other countries have better and much more successful systems in place. They work, because they are not based on revenge and not privatized. The second fallacy is that you seem to equate life long imprisonment with death, which is quite obviously wrong. People have lived decent and even productive lifes in prison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_literature
                Jesus fucking christ, you didn't even read the original message.

aksdb was saying that renaming ReiserFS due to its namely ties with a wife-murderer is stupid because that guy is in prison and after finishing his prison sentence he has settled his debt to the society. At no point was he claiming that the "prison system", let alone US prison system, was a failure. Nor did he compare the capital punishment to life in prison, fuck no. His analogy was that if we are not to trust people who have served their punishment as the courts have seen fit, then we should just execute them altogether. Which is totally the opposite than what you were claiming.

Your logical fallacies shall be tu quoque and the fallacy fallacy.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

except for the fact that ReiserFS brings a cold murder with it..
                  What proof do you have that the current devs have also murdered someone? I'm pretty sure you don't, so there's nothing wrong with ReiserFS.

Comment

So the entire discussion is either off-topic or just about Hans, but what I'd like to know is if anybody on Phoronix uses ReiserFS currently?
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 01 January 2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                      Joking aside, blacklisting something (usage of the name Raiser, Hitler, etc), I would say only makes something (that should have been otherwise forgotten) more pronounced by granting it unique context. Raiser is perfectly English noun after all.
                      It's Reiser, not Raiser. Also, I'm not sure you know, but there are still quite a few people (including some of Adolf's kin) with the family name Hitler. Aren't they allowed to create stuff just because one Hitler was a monster? That's like punishing an entire class just because one kid decided to shoot spitballs at the teacher...
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 01 January 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X