Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Of The Reasons Why Linux 5.5 Can Be Running Slower

Phoronix: One Of The Reasons Why Linux 5.5 Can Be Running Slower

Going back to the start of December with the Linux 5.5 merge window we have encountered several significant performance regressions. Over the weeks since we've reproduced the behavior on both Intel and AMD systems along with large and small CPUs. Following some holiday weekend bisecting fun, here is the cause at least partially for the Linux 5.5 slowdowns.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work. Just like a real researcher! I hope the community appreciates the work you do!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Great work. Just like a real researcher! I hope the community appreciates the work you do!
      Sadly, most do not, at least for showing support to make future tests possible.

Greater than 50% ad block rates.
      Less than 1% being premium subscribers.
      Less than 1% tipping.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Try Patreon. Would allow you to send perks too

Comment

Yeah try patreon, it will likely help a lot.

Comment

Just curious to know if Michael extracts / checks out the kernel and compiles in tmpfs? It's much faster than on SSD/HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Less than 1% tipping.
              Sadly, most page operators don't care for their user's privacy or usability. Requesting a page from this article with and without blocking invasive megacorps:

1317% http requests
              596% download size
              336% loading time
              ∞% privacy invasion

Just a reminder that this is not an option. You violate EU law btw.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                1317% http requests
                596% download size
                336% loading time
                ∞% privacy invasion
                not to mention the continuous higher CPU load the entire time the page is open because of animated ads, and ads frequently covering up content on mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Less than 1% tipping.
                  As of January, 2019, Dedoimedo added you to his very exclusive list of 'Greatest Sites on the Internet':

"Greatest sites on the Internet"

Section about the greatest, most unique, and interesting websites on the Internet

"Latest entries:...
                  January 2019: Phoronix ..."

"Phoronix
                  "Category: Hardware, Linux

"Phoronix is a website dedicated to Linux. More specifically, Linux hardware reviews, performance and open-source benchmarks. In a world dominated by fluff, hard numbers are hard [sic] to come by, and Phoronix is one of the few sources that follows the rigor of proper experiment. For the past fourteen years, it has provided consistent, practical information on Linux systems, their speed and how well Linux works on various hardware platforms, using its own custom-built test suite.
                  If you'd like to know whether you should use open-source or proprietary GPU drivers, whether to buy this or that processor and what kernel to run on it, how long your battery will last, or how your latest Linux game is going to behave, Phoronix is a great place to start your quest. One of the few remaining bastions of quality in the diminishing realm of Tux. Quite recommended."

I am ashamed to admit that I heartily concur with Dedoimedo's assessment--in spades--and have been availing myself of all your high quality and hard, selfless work with ADBLOCK PLUS and PRIVACY BADGER enabled on my machines.. I felt really badly when I discovered this, and have made certain that this will no longer happen.

Perhaps--no, make that "It is a certainty that..."-- a little bit of 'nagware' on your part, very periodically, would not be inappropriate.

Best regards...

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                    X