No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5-rc3 Benchmarks Are Still Pointing To Slips In Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yikes! Some of these regressions are quite significant. I'm a bit surprised, but fairly confident they'll be addressed before final release.

And gosh darn it, I can't test the R9-390 suspend/resume regression now because my son forced me to switch it to my Windows 10 VM so I can play Destiny 2 with him. It works fantastically in the VM, but now I have an ultra crappy GT 710 when running Linux. I sure wish I'd kept the RX 570 I'd bought to replace it, but at the time I kept having random crashes in the VM and didn't realize it was because I was still using the 440fx emulation. So I ended up returning it.

In my defense I'd tried the q35 numerous times over the years but could never get passthrough to work at all, and didn't know how far it had advanced in the last two years. I've switched to it now though, and it's awesome!

Comment

The kernel seems to keep getting worse with every release, and I feel like the worries that the CoC is to blame might be right, and that code standards have dropped.

Things like these make me consider switching to a different kernel, but there's basically nothing that comes close to Linux in basic things such as performance and hardware compatibility, even NT.

Comment

Things will always get worse, since the kernel is a monolithic kernel and everything has to go inside it, even if loaded as modules. NT is a micro kernel. Other options are *BSDs and Haiku. Haiku has come quite a big way. Of course hardware support is lacking but the UI is fast, really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by pyler View Post
          Every non-trivial change in kernel should be benchmarked.
          Benchmarks are racist and discriminatory against those who are not part of the patriarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            I feel like the worries that the CoC is to blame might be right, and that code standards have dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              Kernel goes worse every day. Regressions left and right. Both perf and functionality wise. 5.4 breaks nvidia prime , nvidia hdmi sound etc. Also since the 5.3 there are various sound pop-in,crackling issues.

I guess it is at a point where everyone says "yolo" and pushes stuff.
              Thank you for the information! I am not upgrading my kernel then.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                The world seems to keep getting worse with every year, and I feel like the worries that the pro-feminist/non-binary movement is to blame might be right, and that etiquette standards have dropped.

Things like these make me consider switching to a different world, but there's basically nothing that comes close to Earth in basic things such as water and oxygen, even Mars.
                Slightly altered version to reflect the current status of the world.

Comment

Having zero issues with 5.4-rc2, games run faster than ever (not necessarily linked to the kernel, but still).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Having zero issues with 5.4-rc2, games run faster than ever (not necessarily linked to the kernel, but still).
                    Do you mean 5.5.-rc2 ? If so I also had a huge impact of rc3 vs rc2 ...i thought I screwed up some patches...

Comment

Not sure but ...is this related to some new mitigations like JCC ?

Comment

Working...
                      X