Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook's New Linux Slab Memory Controller Saving 30~40%+ Of Memory, Less Fragmentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook's New Linux Slab Memory Controller Saving 30~40%+ Of Memory, Less Fragmentation

Phoronix: Facebook's New Linux Slab Memory Controller Saving 30~40%+ Of Memory, Less Fragmentation

Back in September we wrote about Facebook's Roman Gushchin working on a new slab memory controller/allocator implementation that in turn could provide better memroy utilization and less slab memory usage. This wasn't ready in time for the 5.5 kernel but a revised patch series was sent out last week...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Alloc-December

that in turn could provide better memroy

Comment

Is it as cool as it sounds?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        nope.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I hope it is, and this time I don't care if it's from FB. I remember when people spent time discussing and benchmarking SLAB, SLOB, SLUB, and SLQB (whatever happened to it) like they do now with i/o schedulers...

Comment

Will it be available in kernel 5.6 ??

Comment

+30% improvement? Ok, what's the trade-off?

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

I hope it is, and this time I don't care if it's from FB. I remember when people spent time discussing and benchmarking SLAB, SLOB, SLUB, and SLQB (whatever happened to it) like they do now with i/o schedulers...
                SQLB?

I think that's called MariaDBB now.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                  +30% improvement? Ok, what's the trade-off?
                  Some use cases apparently show a performance regression. Remember that the hyperscallers have use cases that are somewhat different than what others see in their day-to-day use on a desktop or a small business server. The question may be if those performance regressions can be addressed, and if not, if they are considered acceptable for a potentially new default allocator.

Comment

It's good to have options. I have 'slub_max_order=2' on one of my system's boot lines because that prevents slabs from becoming too big (i.e. 32KB vs 16KB) which impacts fragmentation. You could reduce it to 1 to have them be 8KB - or 0 for 4KB, but then you perhaps might as well use the SLAB allocator. Which I do in general, it's just in this case it would have resulted in more memory being used due to the filesystem inode being just too big to fit into 1KB; and hence, a 4KB slab only fits 3.

The influence of the allocator can depend on other options you have compiled your kernel with - e.g. support for ext4's quota function increases structure size, but also weird things like reader-writer semaphores that can otherwise increase performance under heavy use, and that may push it over the point (impacting slab efficiency and fragmentation over time) - as well as what operations you actually do (rsync of millions of files?) which is why the workload matters so much.

It's also one reason 32-bit can be faster; I have one minimal 32-bit system which fits seven ext4 inodes in 4KB, and this can mean less I/O. But it might also mean memory gets fragmented because just one inode can hold up the 4KB slab from being reallocated.

Comment

Working...
                    X