Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

Phoronix: Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

With NFSv4.2 is the server-side copy (SSC) functionality with the Linux 5.5 kernel's NFS client-side support for that support in allowing "inter" copy offloads between different NFS servers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please wake me up when "cp --reflink" will work on NFS backed by XFS (or Btrfs).

Comment

Ooh, this sounds like a good one....

Comment

Michael, for the love of god, please proof-read your articles. Most of the time you use the most convoluted, grammatically-incorrect word constructs. It feels to me as if you are trying to cram too much information into a single sentence by using pseudo-journalistic minimalist approach. Unfortunately, too often the results are incomprehensible.

Case in point:

With NFSv4.2 is the server-side copy (SSC) functionality with the Linux 5.5 kernel's NFS client-side support for that support in allowing "inter" copy offloads between different NFS servers.

Google Translate produces much more fluent and legible text than this. Here is how I would have chosen to write this sentence:

Linux 5.5's NFS client implementation adds support for server-side copy (SSC), allowing inter-server copy offloads.

I will probably come off as a nitpicking jerk, trying to enforce grammar rules on a technical board, but too many times I find myself having to re-read your posts multiple times to make sense of them.

Notwithstanding my, hopefully, friendly-constructive criticism, I would like to thank you for your tireless efforts in keeping the community updated on all Open Source / Free Software related news.

Comment

I keep asking, but one of the supposedly cool things in the 4.1/2 server is pNFS. However, I have not seen a single doc explaining how to set it up.(yes there are some old tools and proof-of-concepts, but they aren't working).

Comment

Working...
          X