Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

Phoronix: Linux 5.5 Adds NFS Client Support For Cross-Device Offloaded Copies (Server To Server)

With NFSv4.2 is the server-side copy (SSC) functionality with the Linux 5.5 kernel's NFS client-side support for that support in allowing "inter" copy offloads between different NFS servers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...evice-Off-Copy

Please wake me up when "cp --reflink" will work on NFS backed by XFS (or Btrfs).

Comment

Ooh, this sounds like a good one....

Comment

Michael, for the love of god, please proof-read your articles. Most of the time you use the most convoluted, grammatically-incorrect word constructs. It feels to me as if you are trying to cram too much information into a single sentence by using pseudo-journalistic minimalist approach. Unfortunately, too often the results are incomprehensible.

Case in point:

With NFSv4.2 is the server-side copy (SSC) functionality with the Linux 5.5 kernel's NFS client-side support for that support in allowing "inter" copy offloads between different NFS servers.

Google Translate produces much more fluent and legible text than this. Here is how I would have chosen to write this sentence:

Linux 5.5's NFS client implementation adds support for server-side copy (SSC), allowing inter-server copy offloads.

I will probably come off as a nitpicking jerk, trying to enforce grammar rules on a technical board, but too many times I find myself having to re-read your posts multiple times to make sense of them.

Notwithstanding my, hopefully, friendly-constructive criticism, I would like to thank you for your tireless efforts in keeping the community updated on all Open Source / Free Software related news.

Comment

I keep asking, but one of the supposedly cool things in the 4.1/2 server is pNFS. However, I have not seen a single doc explaining how to set it up.(yes there are some old tools and proof-of-concepts, but they aren't working).

Comment

Working...
          X