Systemd-homed Looks Like It Will Merged Soon For systemd 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    starshipeleven Back then it was a close call proving that Canonical has a lot of weight.
    If you employ half of the committee (literally), it's kind of expected.

Still, apart from the paid votes they all chose systemd. And Upstart was shot down.

This time Canonical will vote for systemd, not against systemd.
    Of course. They will vote for keeping whatever they are already using in Ubuntu.

Comment

My favorite part of systemd distros is that they are all doing it wrong and using incredibly old (like days old) systemd versions.

Comment

Am I reading the documentation correctly as my take away is that every ones home directory will have to be a separate partition so it can be mounted. That would be completely unworkable in many situations

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The actual definition of native is "not using shims". ZFS is using shims (the SPL). NTFS and HFS drivers are not (FUSE is a kernel API)

the home directory can be over CIFS/SMB too with this system

What is an "enterprise Unix client"? Does such a thing even exist?

That said, can I remind you that a large quantity of company PCs are not desktops and need to work independently and without access to the AD server for weeks at a time?

You could have network "home" directories in a central sever for ages in Windows too.
          You are too young (green) to understand what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            You are too young (green) to understand what I'm talking about.
            Or maybe I'm too old and my memory is failing me. I remember dumb terminal and mainframe days (when the terminal was not a computer at all, I mean) but I still don't know what this "enterprise Unix client" is.

How about helping an old friend? Don't old people help each other?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              starshipeleven yeah, Canonical was really bad back then.
              Canonical is still bad.

Today is different. Redhat, Debian an Ubuntu all agree on the same kernel, init, system layer and desktop.
              Canonical still has their own stuff for the kernel and their own system layer.

So votes like this is very welcome.
              Their votes are not required to decide systemd is default, and IMHO I don't see why Canonical should have any say in Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                Am I reading the documentation correctly as my take away is that every ones home directory will have to be a separate partition so it can be mounted. That would be completely unworkable in many situations
                only in some cases, btrfs subvolume and fscrypt shouldn't need a dedicated partition.

Comment

Yeh. With ZFS only Ubuntu kernels will be able to mount Ubuntu partitions out the boc and it's scary to see Canonical going towards something like ZFS rather than trusted in kernel tech like XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Or maybe I'm too old and my memory is failing me. I remember dumb terminal and mainframe days (when the terminal was not a computer at all, I mean) but I still don't know what this "enterprise Unix client" is.

How about helping an old friend? Don't old people help each other?
                    No, I have no interest in helping you.

I keep reading "was not a computer at all" and think.. oooh boy..

If you have a Unix domain, the clients can be whatever they want.. tho usually things like Solaris or Linux, windows will work in a Unix domain tho.

The computer industry has cycles. Where was your data in 1990? where was it in 2010? where is it today and is that not similar to 1990?
                    Extra credit: List 4 competitors to AD.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 06 December 2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post
                      Seems like an awful lot of work to re-invent home directories on encrypted ZFS datasets, with LDAP for user management.
                      That's "systemd-ldap" buddy...

Comment

Working...
                      X