No announcement yet.

Systemd-homed Looks Like It Will Merged Soon For systemd 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Should be pretty complete" - that's the sort of well-planned, well-executed level of feature handling we've come to expect from systemd alright. :P

Candy - I think you're off base: those aren't unusable enough for commands you're going to be running a lot. My guess is something closer to "systemd-toasterctl systemd-breadd systemd-createslice".

Comment

GNU/systemd
      Last edited by Mario Junior; 06 December 2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        GNU/sytemd
        I'd rather say systemd/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

I'd rather say systemd/Linux
          Name JUST ONE soooo controversial OSS project that is "on par" with his "tcp/open 0.0.0.0 init" project...

init should have an open TCP port on PID 1? WTF?!

People, wake up. When we let him do this further systemd will sit your babies, cheat your wife and sell yout car on CL in just a second.

USE="-systemd" emerge -av @world
          #gentoo
          Last edited by tildearrow; 06 December 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yae8xahch View Post
            init should have an open TCP port on PID 1?
            I guess reading documentation is too hard.

It's for socket activation, usually (in most distros it's set up) for rpcbind.

Use

systemctl list-sockets

to get a list of socket-activated services.

See here for more info https://www.freedesktop.org/software...md.socket.html

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's a good thing ZFS is a fully native Linux filesystem then, oh wait.
              It isn't?

Linux ZFS is the upstream of OpenZFS now.

I mean it depends on your definition of native I guess.. I'd consider NTFS or HFS to be "non-native" despite being "in tree".

If you want portable home directories, safe encrypted backups to untrusted system and cross platform recovery options.. ZFS really is the way to do this.. Hopefully we get a nice TimeMachiene like view for snapshots for Nautilus soon.

Also I don't really understand RedHat's implementation here.. Why is the user identity file stored in the home directory?? If they want enterprise why is it on the client at all.. it feels very Microsoft esque.. Enterprise Unix client's should all be identical and have nearly no user generated configuration on them.. typically..

It was Microsoft that moved all the data to the Desktop then tried to bolt on management on top with a thousand AD acls.
              Last edited by k1e0x; 06 December 2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Yae8xahch Debian is going to vote for
                “Die, Init Freedom, Die”.

Voting starts tomorrow
                Even if Debian voted to only support systemd (isn't that exactly what they are doing now?) that would not prevent Gentoo and other distros from providing init freedom. Or maybe you want all countries of the world to pass laws forbidding any init system except systemd ?

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
                  Michael a typo:
                  yurikoles always finds those hidden typos

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    It isn't?

Linux ZFS is the upstream of OpenZFS now.

I mean it depends on your definition of native I guess.. I'd consider NTFS or HFS to be "non-native" despite being "in tree".
                    The actual definition of native is "not using shims". ZFS is using shims (the SPL). NTFS and HFS drivers are not (FUSE is a kernel API)

Also I don't really understand RedHat's implementation here.. Why is the user identity file stored in the home directory??
                    the home directory can be over CIFS/SMB too with this system

If they want enterprise why is it on the client at all.. it feels very Microsoft esque.. Enterprise Unix client's should all be identical and have nearly no user generated configuration on them.. typically..
                    What is an "enterprise Unix client"? Does such a thing even exist?

That said, can I remind you that a large quantity of company PCs are not desktops and need to work independently and without access to the AD server for weeks at a time?

It was Microsoft that moved all the data to the Desktop
                    You could have network "home" directories in a central sever for ages in Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      ALRBP Canonical and Ubuntu devs are largely backing systemd-only. So yeah, it’s very predictable what is going to happen
                      That didn't save Upstart back then when its time came and a vote was cast, just FYI.

Comment

Working...
                      X