No announcement yet.

Systemd-homed Looks Like It Will Merged Soon For systemd 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALRBP Canonical and Ubuntu devs are largely backing systemd-only. So yeah, it’s very predictable what is going to happen

21 days and you can fire 21 shots for the fallen inits.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
      It isn't?

Linux ZFS is the upstream of OpenZFS now.

I mean it depends on your definition of native I guess.. I'd consider NTFS or HFS to be "non-native" despite being "in tree".
      The actual definition of native is "not using shims". ZFS is using shims (the SPL). NTFS and HFS drivers are not (FUSE is a kernel API)

Also I don't really understand RedHat's implementation here.. Why is the user identity file stored in the home directory??
      the home directory can be over CIFS/SMB too with this system

If they want enterprise why is it on the client at all.. it feels very Microsoft esque.. Enterprise Unix client's should all be identical and have nearly no user generated configuration on them.. typically..
      What is an "enterprise Unix client"? Does such a thing even exist?

That said, can I remind you that a large quantity of company PCs are not desktops and need to work independently and without access to the AD server for weeks at a time?

It was Microsoft that moved all the data to the Desktop
      You could have network "home" directories in a central sever for ages in Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        ALRBP Canonical and Ubuntu devs are largely backing systemd-only. So yeah, it’s very predictable what is going to happen
        That didn't save Upstart back then when its time came and a vote was cast, just FYI.

Comment

starshipeleven Back then it was a close call proving that Canonical has a lot of weight.

This time Canonical will vote for systemd, not against systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            starshipeleven Back then it was a close call proving that Canonical has a lot of weight.
            If you employ half of the committee (literally), it's kind of expected.

Still, apart from the paid votes they all chose systemd. And Upstart was shot down.

This time Canonical will vote for systemd, not against systemd.
            Of course. They will vote for keeping whatever they are already using in Ubuntu.

Comment

My favorite part of systemd distros is that they are all doing it wrong and using incredibly old (like days old) systemd versions.

Comment

Am I reading the documentation correctly as my take away is that every ones home directory will have to be a separate partition so it can be mounted. That would be completely unworkable in many situations

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  The actual definition of native is "not using shims". ZFS is using shims (the SPL). NTFS and HFS drivers are not (FUSE is a kernel API)

the home directory can be over CIFS/SMB too with this system

What is an "enterprise Unix client"? Does such a thing even exist?

That said, can I remind you that a large quantity of company PCs are not desktops and need to work independently and without access to the AD server for weeks at a time?

You could have network "home" directories in a central sever for ages in Windows too.
                  You are too young (green) to understand what I'm talking about.

Comment

starshipeleven yeah, Canonical was really bad back then. Today is different. Redhat, Debian an Ubuntu all agree on the same kernel, init, system layer and desktop.

So votes like this is very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      You are too young (green) to understand what I'm talking about.
                      Or maybe I'm too old and my memory is failing me. I remember dumb terminal and mainframe days (when the terminal was not a computer at all, I mean) but I still don't know what this "enterprise Unix client" is.

How about helping an old friend? Don't old people help each other?

Comment

Working...
                      X