No announcement yet.

A General Notification Queue Was Pushed Back From Linux 5.5 Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm excited for anything that reduces polling in the system. It'll be great news when this makes it in.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    Whilst Red Hat does mantain a lot (maybe most?) of the Linux desktop stack, Red Hat as a company doesn't really care about the desktop, although many Red Hat employees do care passionately about the Linux desktop. Many (if not most) RHEL Workstation licenses are bundled free as part of bigger license agreements for RHEL. Red Hat cares about cloud because that's what makes money, not the Linux desktop.
    Just like how people in nearly all demographic aggregates ranging from clubs and classrooms in small towns to the entire world don't really care about the desktop. They care about what makes their lives easier, not the Linux desktop. And, since the majority of people are in lower or middle classes, what would make their lives easiest is more money. Shocking, I know. Money can't solve all problems, but the lack of money sure creates a lot of problems. That's why all of us work under supervision of others to get it. Hopefully one day society will advance to the point where basic needs are not gated by money.

It's also not really a profound (or even useful) statement to talk about profit incentives when you look at the overall marketshare of the Linux desktop. It's such a small percentage of the whole that your statement is going to be true of literally every living thing on this planet unless you artificially exclude everyone who doesn't have more important concerns. Your statement honestly isn't particularly problematic in its wording, but we've got some schizoaffective community members that quickly lose sight of the fact that having profit as an incentive doesn't make an entity evil, nor should it earn them constant shade from the community. It's irresponsible to feed that gnawing void.

Regardless of how much Red Hat executives care about one aspect of Linux, Red Hat employees are still some of the best contributors across the board to Linux. Whether it's a primary concern or an afterthought, we're still benefiting. We've just got to have overseers outside executive control reviewing contributions. Like our kernel maintainers. People like Linux won't let it in until it's ready.

Comment

It sounds good but.. since it's RedHat it will probably be systemd or locked down somehow and we won't get it in the freedom world..

sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
        Regardless of how much Red Hat executives care about one aspect of Linux, Red Hat employees are still some of the best contributors across the board to Linux. Whether it's a primary concern or an afterthought, we're still benefiting. We've just got to have overseers outside executive control reviewing contributions. Like our kernel maintainers. People like Linux won't let it in until it's ready.
        Really? That's what they are doing hmm.. benefiting us?

mmm hmm..

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          It sounds good but.. since it's RedHat it will probably be systemd or locked down somehow and we won't get it in the freedom world..

sad.
          Please don't tell me you're this stupid. It's kernel functionality, anything can use it. But of course Red Hat isnt going to add implement use of it to anything but systemd because that's the only thing they support.

Comment

Will this stop systemd-udevd from using 5% of my CPU time?

Comment

Originally posted by johannesburgel View Post
              No, this will be more likely be a superior replacement for udev.
              udev isn't a notification queue, so it can't be replaced by one

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

sad.
                i find you amusing rather than sad

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Poor Bob! Alice's security practices escalated rather quickly..
                  I would be more worried about Eve - although she probably had it coming

Comment

Working...
                  X