Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Approaching Another Year Closer To Year 2038, Linux 5.5 Brings More Y2038 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Approaching Another Year Closer To Year 2038, Linux 5.5 Brings More Y2038 Fixes

Phoronix: With Approaching Another Year Closer To Year 2038, Linux 5.5 Brings More Y2038 Fixes

With approaching another year closer to the Year 2038 problem, where on 19 January 2038 the number of seconds for the Unix timestamp can no longer be stored in a signed 32-bit integer, Linux 5.5 is bringing more Y2038 preparations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad I will be alive in 2038 to watch the shit show that unfolds.

Comment

Are there any plans to deprecate i686 support? I'd love to see x86 getting dropped entirely.

Comment

This reminds me of the whole Y2K scare, all the doom and gloom and warnings of dire consequences, nothing happened, a few systems displayed the wrong date. Big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
          This reminds me of the whole Y2K scare, all the doom and gloom and warnings of dire consequences, nothing happened, a few systems displayed the wrong date. Big deal.
          2038 is a bigger deal because there's more computers and embedded systems with more things relying on those systems. Y2K was more a logic and display issue where as 2038 is a hardware limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            2038 is a bigger deal because there's more computers and embedded systems with more things relying on those systems.
            Do we expect by 2038 most embedded systems to still be 32 bit? And who will fix the Year 403207347832 issue?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Do we expect by 2038 most embedded systems to still be 32 bit? And who will fix the Year 403207347832 issue?
              Yes and software that even if it's running on 64bit is still storing times as 32bit.

We'll be dead long before 403207347832.

Comment

The Y2K panic back then was really fun. I remember prophecies about the apocalypse and the World's end, tho in retrospect we used way less computer than nowadays. Regarding 2038 I hope we will only be emulating 32- and 64-bit on retro gaming consoles, by then running 1024x2 - qubit processors

Comment

I'm just going to stay indoors on New Years Day of 2038, as people run around in terror, make stupid life decisions, and start looting stores. I, meanwhile, will sit comfortably on my couch with a hot cocoa watching the news, witnessing only the stupid people and technological troglodytes getting themselves killed, arrested, or bankrupt. 2038 will be a good year for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I'm just going to stay indoors on New Years Day of 2038, as people run around in terror, make stupid life decisions, and start looting stores. I, meanwhile, will sit comfortably on my couch with a hot cocoa watching the news, witnessing only the stupid people and technological troglodytes getting themselves killed, arrested, or bankrupt. 2038 will be a good year for most people.
                    Hope you have enough cocoa stored, it's only the 19th it will happen. And 19 days inside without fresh air is bad for your constitution

Comment

Working...
                    X