GNU Linux-libre 5.4-gnu Released As The New Deblobbed Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This is just plain BS. Big fat BS. Aside from removed firmware this deblobbed kernel is absolutely the same.

Benchmarks results or GTFO.
    Snappier without a doubt. Faster boot times. And more secure. Proprietary code has always been the main point of failure and the main point of vulnerability.

Comment

It‘s neither pointless nor more secure.

It just ensures thar no binaries will be used by your kernel. That means, with this kernel you can use the package repositories of any common distribution without the danger of loading binaries by the kernel.

However, that‘s only safe, when your hardware really works without these binaries.

As an example, when you are running a n Intel CPU and haven‘t updated your UEFI/Intel ME-Code etc., then you might make your PC vulnerable by not using the updated binary firmware that your distribution provides.

In terms of security it is surely more secure to trust Intel in this case, it‘s the less harmful choice.

Maybe older UEFI-Versions for AMD-CPUs are more secure than those for Intel CPUs or perhaps there have just be found less vulnerabilities so far. But still: You are using binaries in the UEFI anyway, outdated ones if not the updated ones from the repos.

However, when you have an e.g. ARM-/PPC-/RISC-/MIPS-Machine that you definitely know is not requiring any proprietary software, why not running the Linux-Libre-Kernel?
      It‘s a libre-ensurance that doesn‘t hurt.

It‘s just important to be honest to people who are running the standard UEFI+x86-Machines or any other hardware with included binaries, that rationally there is really no improved security by Linux-Libre.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        #derpy-derp-derp. You're just scared your system will blow up in your face if you ever run it without Big-tech's secret sauce.
        My GPU does not work, the wifi ac does not work, the external audio card does not work and some USB devices like radio and TV tuners don't work.
        Also my USB oscilloscope does not work.
        Everything else that still works has loaded a firmware from an onboard flash chip, so the secret sauce is still there.

Not everyone is using a basic system for web browsing like you. I need to be able to do more than just troll on Phoronix, you know.

Comment

Working...
        X