Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.4 Kernel Released With exFAT Support, Faster Radeon Graphics, New Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.4 Kernel Released With exFAT Support, Faster Radeon Graphics, New Hardware

    Phoronix: Linux 5.4 Kernel Released With exFAT Support, Faster Radeon Graphics, New Hardware

    Linus Torvalds has officially released the Linux 5.4 "Kleptomaniac Octopus" kernel this evening as was expected. Linux 5.4 is the last major stable kernel release of the year and brings a lot of new hardware support particularly on the graphics processor front, Microsoft exFAT support is finally available, and a plethora of other new features and improvements to existing functionality...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-5.4-Released

  • #2
    Did we ever get the DRM work associated with https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Sound-Changes or is it still pending?

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • #3
      >released
      >not on https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/
      Ok...

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's a link for those of you who can't be bothered finding it yourselves:

        https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...nux-5.4.tar.gz

        Comment


        • #5
          I am really looking forward to use Virtio-fs with the new qemu microvm machine type.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is there a phoronix article covering the exFAT kernel driver vs FUSE? Do you need to remove the FUSE one to use the kernel driver or will it prefer that by default from 5.4? No more heavy CPU associated to speed of transfers now?

            Originally posted by flower View Post
            I am really looking forward to use Virtio-fs with the new qemu microvm machine type.
            Quick look suggests that might have some drawbacks with VFIO? What type of scenario's is microvm useful for? Headless only? Faster traditional VMs?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by polarathene View Post

              Quick look suggests that might have some drawbacks with VFIO? What type of scenario's is microvm useful for? Headless only? Faster traditional VMs?
              I plan to move my containers there. Primarily nextcloud which needs access to my host fs.

              I just want a small footprint.

              Comment


              • #8
                Once 5.4.4 is out I'll update to it. Lab mice are welcome to test it on their data and equipment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  Is there a phoronix article covering the exFAT kernel driver vs FUSE? Do you need to remove the FUSE one to use the kernel driver or will it prefer that by default from 5.4? No more heavy CPU associated to speed of transfers now?



                  Quick look suggests that might have some drawbacks with VFIO? What type of scenario's is microvm useful for? Headless only? Faster traditional VMs?
                  There's a table here that shows how quick a kernel driver is compared to a fuse driver. https://github.com/arter97/exfat-linux#-nvme-device

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It have been released,
                    but they are not at correct destination to downloads( packages and signatures.. by autosigner, and kernel developers.. )

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X