No announcement yet.

The Exciting Linux 5.4 Changes From exFAT Support To Intel Tiger Lake Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exciting Linux 5.4 Changes From exFAT Support To Intel Tiger Lake Graphics

Phoronix: The Exciting Linux 5.4 Changes From exFAT Support To Intel Tiger Lake Graphics

It's possible this afternoon Linus Torvalds will release Linux 5.4 stable but considering his communications in recent weeks and many changes still flowing in this week, it's more than likely he will divert and release Linux 5.4-rc8 today and then ship this next stable kernel update on the next Sunday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The FS-VERITY feature should be handy for OSTree.

Makes system-level malware under OSTree based distros super difficult, if not impossible.

Comment

>rc8
      Wow, much RCs.

Comment

Outside of Intel "Tiger Lake "Gen 12" graphics support. " excites no one.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Outside of Intel "Tiger Lake "Gen 12" graphics support. " excites no one.
          That's the least exciting bullet point.

I mean who is going to buy newer Intel hardware in the near future anyway.

The rape train for Intel is still choo-choo-ing, remember that.

Comment

The exfat reminded me of a funny story. My friend works for an MSP. He couldn't figure out a way around the UEFI fat32 4gb file limit, so he set the laptops to BIOS mode. I later told him about NTFS UEFI driver.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              The exfat reminded me of a funny story. My friend works for an MSP. He couldn't figure out a way around the UEFI fat32 4gb file limit, so he set the laptops to BIOS mode. I later told him about NTFS UEFI driver.
              I wonder why does anyone need to access files bigger than 4GB from UEFI, but reading how he "solved" his issue I'm now afraid to ask.

Also, is MSP Managed Service Provider, right?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                I wonder why does anyone need to access files bigger than 4GB from UEFI, but reading how he "solved" his issue I'm now afraid to ask.

Also, is MSP Managed Service Provider, right?
                I am guessing he is talking about the Windows installer. If you want to make it UEFI compatible, you copy the installer to a FAT32 file system. But, the install.wim is now over 4GB in size, so it does not work. In addition to the NTFS driver (which is not signed, so Secure Boot will not work), you can use WIM splitting, while still using FAT32 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sb-flash-drive (see file copy failed part)

Comment

Originally posted by CKing123 View Post

I am guessing he is talking about the Windows installer. If you want to make it UEFI compatible, you copy the installer to a FAT32 file system. But, the install.wim is now over 4GB in size, so it does not work. In addition to the NTFS driver (which is not signed, so Secure Boot will not work), you can use WIM splitting, while still using FAT32 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sb-flash-drive (see file copy failed part)
                  WIM splitting, last time I attempted it, didn't work. Is he trying to copy that WIM straight to hard drive for some unknown reason, or what? On dual-layer DVD it does not matter whether it's sub-4Gb (Win7 RTM) or over 4Gb. It would still work. When you boot windows optical installation media on UEFI-capable machine, you will get both legacy and UEFI modes, you can recognize either by slightly different fonted white "press any key to start install.." on black background, usually UEFI mode does that at higher resolution.
                  Last edited by aht0; 23 November 2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    WIM splitting, last time I attempted it, didn't work. Is he trying to copy that WIM straight to hard drive for some unknown reason, or what? On dual-layer DVD it does not matter whether it's sub-4Gb (Win7 RTM) or over 4Gb. It would still work. When you boot windows optical installation media on UEFI-capable machine, you will get both legacy and UEFI modes, you can recognize either by slightly different fonted white "press any key to start install.." on black background, usually UEFI mode does that at higher resolution.
                    USB flashdrive-based installers are a thing for IT technicians.

It's much faster than a DVD, if it is part of the job, you will want to use USB flashdrives instead of a DVD.

Windows 10 can install from split WIM and also you can also place a bigger WIM in an additional NTFS partition, so I'm not sure what tat guy was doing.

EDIT: there was also a way to have the additional NTFS partition for bigger custom Win8 WIM files.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 November 2019, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X