Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox SF Driver Ejected From The Linux 5.4 Kernel

Phoronix: VirtualBox SF Driver Ejected From The Linux 5.4 Kernel

Merged to the mainline Linux kernel last week was a driver providing VirtualBox guest shared folder support with the driver up to now being out-of-tree but important for sharing files between the host and guest VM(s). While the driver was part of Linux 5.4-rc7, Linus Torvalds decided to delete this driver on Tuesday...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...cted-Linux-5.4

I was expecting a rant, but it turned out that it was just not pushed properly, at the right merge cycle. Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
      I was expecting a rant
      He would have so totally done that, were it still < 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
        I was expecting a rant, but it turned out that it was just not pushed properly, at the right merge cycle. Oh well
        Me too, too bad Linus isn't like Alex Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Yeah. Linus isn't batsh*t crazy.

Comment

As much as I want this feature ASAP, Linus made the right call here.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

s/too bad/but luckily/

Comment

Hm, so is this driver even compatible with the userspace part of the stack?

Comment

Who pushed this code to the kernel so late? Greg KH pull yet another stunt? Did a longtime Redhat Linux developer try to pull a fast one?

I wish whoever pushed this code to Linus would realize that Linux kernel development is not the place for: "It compiles this time! Ok, send it to Linus to merge it!"

You would think that the people responsible for pushing code to Linus understand the basics of kernel development:
                  • New code for the kernel goes through a review & approval process that can be time-consuming, but it's supposed to encourage better code quality.
                  • New code is supposed to be merged into a development tree with other new code in that major section of Linux, just to see how it all plays together.
                  • New code for the kernel should be pushed when the kernel "merge window" opens. Sometimes Linus allows later merges during RC0 and RC1, and sometimes not.
                  • Once new code has been merged during the "merge window", then it needs to be tested in the kernel with bugs supposedly getting fixed through multiple RC rounds.
                  • The new kernel is released when Linus is satisfied.
                  Hey! I don't write code for the kernel, but I think I understand the development process based on years of watching how it is supposed to work.

Comment

Right call in a non ranting way, good call!

Comment

Working...
                    X