Linux 5.4-rc7 Kernel Released With VirtualBox Shared Folder Driver In Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.4-rc7 Kernel Released With VirtualBox Shared Folder Driver In Place

Phoronix: Linux 5.4-rc7 Kernel Released With VirtualBox Shared Folder Driver In Place

Linux 5.4-rc7 was just released as the newest test candidate of the maturing Linux 5.4 kernel. At this stage it's looking like an eighth weekly RC will be warranted next weekend before officially releasing Linux 5.4.0 on 24 November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am curious about something if someone knows and can help me. I believe that having all 3rd party components in the kernel's source repository is obviously a not scalable approach to development and maintainance of these compoments by their respective developers.

So I suppose the source of these components is actually developed outside in their own projects and repositories and somehow they synchronize the source in the linux kernel repository at some time. Is my assumption correct? And if it is how do they do the actual source sync?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      I am curious about something if someone knows and can help me. I believe that having all 3rd party components in the kernel's source repository is obviously a not scalable approach to development and maintainance of these compoments by their respective developers.

So I suppose the source of these components is actually developed outside in their own projects and repositories and somehow they synchronize the source in the linux kernel repository at some time. Is my assumption correct? And if it is how do they do the actual source sync?
      This is a job done by the source versioning system (or Version Control System, VCS). Any self-respecting source versioning has some way to deal with this situation.

For projects that use git, they use git "branches" for this job. See here for a quick primer on the basics of branches https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/using-branches

Then when it is time to merge they take the commits from their branch and send them as a special email with git send-email to their superior (subsystem maintainers), and so on until it reaches Torvalds or Greg that actually merge them into mainline.

If it's bigger stuff they just ask their superior in the hierarchy to pull the commits from a specific branch in their own clone of the kernel source code, hosted somewhere accessible to git commands.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

At least it seems Oracle is not interested in the Virtualbox driver mainline development. They're developing their own drivers and the mainline drivers are maintained and developed by Red Hat.

Comment

It's ridiculous that this has taken this long. Oracle never wants to do the right thing, they wait for their users to struggle for years before doing their job for them. They take and take and take and take, and then wonder why their contracts are not of any interest to companies run by people under 40.

Comment

I'd say KVM is far more appealing option for Linux users. Since it part of Linux it works out of the box with minimal efforts. Like everything else one could expect from Linux kernel.

Comment

Working...
            X