Free Software Foundation Certifies Talos II With Respecting Your Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Software Foundation Certifies Talos II With Respecting Your Freedom

Phoronix: Free Software Foundation Certifies Talos II With Respecting Your Freedom

The Free Software Foundation's "Respect Your Freedom" program has tended to mostly endorse products like old motherboards re-flashed with Coreboot/Libreboot along with dated networking products and obscure products like USB microphones and USB to parallel printer port cables. But today comes the Free Software Foundation's most prominent RYF endorsement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's really cool. Congratulations to Raptor Computing and all involved.

The world will never see it as such but they are truly pioneers. When I am next in the need of a new system (rather than salvaging from the local landfill XD), I can pretty much guarantee that I will not buy anything else now that this exists.

Comment

Cool. I absolutely can't afford one, but I respect that it's actually available, and pretty decent hardware. The regular board can have up to 2 TB of RAM, the lite one 1 TB of RAM.

The software tab on their site is rather empty. https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/software.html

Comment

The chain of screw-ups from companies that swear by and put "secure" in their product names has made me rather skeptical in this regard. On top of my concern list is what does the US government has to say about a high performance platform that is not riddled with backdoors, and the "threat to national security" it surely manifests.

Oh wait, it is "freedom", not "security"... never mind.
        Last edited by ddriver; 08 November 2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Congratulations Talos. But what about RMS leaving FSF? Doesn't that take away credibility from FSF?

Comment

I think I will get one of the lower end workstations next year for some cross platform ci compiling. Should be a fun experience to dabble into non x86 platform.

Comment

Congrats Raptor. However... personally I no longer trust anything the FSF does. I always valued GNU over the FSF, but now that Richard Stallman has effectively been forced out of the FSF due to [probably deliberate] character assassination and image tarnishing against him; I consider the FSF to be compromised.

There are people with ill-intent in their hearts who are attacking anything which brings people physical freedom, security, prosperity, joy and sovereignty. I don't think it's wise to focus all my attention on those people. However I do think it's wise for me to be aware of them so I can route my life / activities around them. I can be reasonably sure that FSF either now already contains these people of ill-intent or will contain them soon, due to Richard Stallman no longer leading the organisation.

I expect some of you reading may have similar sentiments.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                Congrats Raptor. However... personally I no longer trust anything the FSF does. I always valued GNU over the FSF, but now that Richard Stallman has effectively been forced out of the FSF due to [probably deliberate] character assassination and image tarnishing against him; I consider the FSF to be compromised.

There are people with ill-intent in their hearts who are attacking anything which brings people physical freedom, security, prosperity, joy and sovereignty. I don't think it's wise to focus all my attention on those people. However I do think it's wise for me to be aware of them so I can route my life / activities around them. I can be reasonably sure that FSF either now already contains these people of ill-intent or will contain them soon, due to Richard Stallman no longer leading the organisation.

I expect some of you reading may have similar sentiments.
                people of ill-intent or will
                The Only Person Punished for the Gates-Epstein Connection/Affairs Seems to be Richard Stallman and Now the Libel Resumes

Close friends of Bill Gates have partial ownership of the media outlet that started this whole thing and continues to defame Richard Stallman (even several times so far this week)

Comment

Sadly I have to agree; the FSF certification is meaningless now that RMS doesn't have any say in the matter.

However I do trust Raptor more than the FSF. As far as we know it's still the most open competitive workstation on the market.

Comment

I agree with the above sentiments about the meaning of the FSF. That movement has been overtaken by liberals and SJW that will value how many genders you are and how often you can get offended by everyone and everything, in place of the importance of free software and hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X