Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS/Zsys Improvements Are Already Underway For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: ZFS/Zsys Improvements Are Already Underway For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

While Ubuntu 19.10 just shipped two weeks ago with its initial desktop install support to a root ZFS file-system option, feature work is already happening of ZFS changes destined for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Ubuntu's Zsys daemon being built around ZFS' advanced feature set...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is Zsys?

While Canonical is working on ZFS in Ubuntu, what is Red Hat doing in RHEL and Fedora? Are they working on Btrfs or Stratis?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What is Zsys?

While Canonical is working on ZFS in Ubuntu, what is Red Hat doing in RHEL and Fedora? Are they working on Btrfs or Stratis?
      XFS and Stratis.

Stratis adds ZFS-like ease of pool management, snapshots etc to XFS and XFS itself is adding better support for copy-on-write, de-duplication etc.
      Last edited by Britoid; 05 November 2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Good. I just tried the 19.10 installer yesterday. The ZFS option is practically useless. Even FreeBSD's installer on ZFS introduction was light years beyond that in setting up initial pools and necessary options.

Comment

What is Zsys?
          There is a link to Zsys readme in the article. https://github.com/ubuntu/zsys

Comment

Why is "what is Zsys" asked in every Zsys thread? Sometimes it's like RTFA or, in this case, read the goddamn OP:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Ubuntu's Zsys daemon being built around ZFS' advanced feature set.

Comment

Michael

That time thing is still happening

Comment

What is Zsys?

OpenSUSE Is focusing on btrfs, so all the major player will have their sort of baked-in-house, just what we need: fruitful, fuckful and enrich fragmentation. I guess next century will be the century of the Linux desktop!
                And I alsomguess nobody cares, but as Linux/open source supporters we would have loved to see it happening in this century
                Last edited by horizonbrave; 05 November 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

OpenSUSE Is focusing on btrfs, so all the major player will have their sort of baked-in-house, just what we need, fruitful, fuckful and enrich fragmentation. I guess next century will be the century of the Linux desktop!
                  And I guess nobody cares, but as Linux/open source supporters we would have loved to see it happening in this century
                  Red Hat and SUSE will be interoperable given that they're both using upstream filesystems and functionality. Red Hats never going to move away from XFS anyway.

Ubuntu ZFS installs will only be able to be mounted by the Ubuntutified Linux-kernel or kernels with an out of tree module loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

OpenSUSE Is focusing on btrfs, so all the major player will have their sort of baked-in-house, just what we need, fruitful, fuckful and enrich fragmentation. I guess next century will be the century of the Linux desktop!
                    And I guess nobody cares, but as Linux/open source supporters we would have loved to see it happening in this century
                    Really isn't all that different than Plasma, Gnome, XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, Enlightenment, etc since you want to mention the desktop.

I just hope that Stratis gets close enough to ZFS's features so we'll have a chance to get a next-gen disk management GUI that works with both.

Comment

Working...
                    X