No announcement yet.

Red Hat Provides New VirtIO Windows Driver Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about damn time. We have a large RHV installation with ~95% RHEL guests. The other 5% are Windows. Our Windows admins don't know how to install anything unless it comes with a magic wizard. Anything requiring more brain power than clicking Next -> Next -> Finish and they can't figure it out. So of course our few Windows VM's are running without any drivers/agents installed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      I suppose it's unlikely macOS VMs will ever get usable virtIO drivers?
      Interestingly enough, macOS Catalina has some virtio bits in it...

In a new development uncovered by Qemu developer Gerd Hoffmann, Apple has apparently added early support for VirtIO and framebuffer graphics in a later Mac OS Mojave release.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        It's about damn time. We have a large RHV installation with ~95% RHEL guests. The other 5% are Windows. Our Windows admins don't know how to install anything unless it comes with a magic wizard. Anything requiring more brain power than clicking Next -> Next -> Finish and they can't figure it out. So of course our few Windows VM's are running without any drivers/agents installed at all.
        Are those real sysadmins? Can't they get fired? I can do it better!

Comment

I tried the new VirtIO libs. I lose the mouse pointer. Did all of the Windows workarounds to regain the cursor, no joy.

The cursor returns the instant the uninstall finishes.

I noticed I can get higher resolutions with the video driver, but with no pointer, no work.

Will wait for the next version I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Good luck firing anyone who works for the government. These are people who have been there for 10 years or more, yet demonstrate zero development of their abilities. They are impossible to fire, and they know it. And I'm stuck managing these dunces.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

In a new development uncovered by Qemu developer Gerd Hoffmann, Apple has apparently added early support for VirtIO and framebuffer graphics in a later Mac OS Mojave release.
              Oh nice! Seems they still have a bit of a way to go, but hopefully more progress is made there. Would be nice if they'd support nvidia GPU as well instead of having to be stuck on Sierra.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                I suppose it's unlikely macOS VMs will ever get usable virtIO drivers?
                There isn't much of a businness case for that I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  That's about right for most IT people on windows. Most of what we do is google the issue for the client and follow steps from a tutorial on the internet, oh and we always read and choose the options before clicking "next".

If something does not work we reinstall Windows (or reload a disk image backup), or the problematic software, if that fails you can usually blame the application and bail out or call the application's own support staff.

The ability do do more than that is not required in 99% of the cases, so many working in IT can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

So this is an Apple thing?

Mac-OS-SimpleKVM maintainer Foxlet observed that this may be due to the re-introduction of rack mount mac pros, which would make perfect sense.
                    The high-spec models will be more than capable of advanced virtualization, so Apple is probably doing what they can to support that endeavor for customers.

Seriously, rack mount Mac Pro? That's as far as it can possibly be from an efficient and reliable hardware system that I can only think it is going to be used because of software lock-in.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      So of course our few Windows VM's are running without any drivers/agents installed at all.
                      good way to discourage use of windows

Comment

Working...
                      X