No announcement yet.

Systemd Starts Tapping ChromeOS For USB Devices That Support Auto-Suspend Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God fucking damn, the clickbait is strong in this one.

This is just a python script that generates default udev rules, not systemd taking direct USB control for fun and profit.

Autosuspend udev rule generator
    This script is executed at build time to generate udev rules. The resulting rules file is installed on the device, the script itself is not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      God fucking damn, the clickbait is strong in this one.

This is just a python script that generates default udev rules, not systemd taking direct USB control for fun and profit.

Autosuspend udev rule generator
      This script is executed at build time to generate udev rules. The resulting rules file is installed on the device, the script itself is not.
      Yup. Why stop there? Why not create scripts to pull in all of Google's rules and all of Microsoft's rules as well? I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Certainly Google and MS have never f'd anything up to hell and back, or at least not in the past 24 hours that we know of.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yup. Why stop there? Why not create scripts to pull in all of Google's rules and all of Microsoft's rules as well? I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Certainly Google and MS have never f'd anything up to hell and back, or at least not in the past 24 hours that we know of.
        Typical hysteria and overreaction from a clueless person.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Yup. Why stop there? Why not create scripts to pull in all of Google's rules and all of Microsoft's rules as well?
          "all of Google's [udev] rules" either don't exist or won't matter much in a normal Linux desktop system.

Microsoft's "rules" afaik don't exist at all and it's either always on or always off depending on a system-wide setting. Or left to the driver itself to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Really, y'all? Supporting ability to suspend/resume USB devices & ports in an attempt to both save power and make Linux better/less buggy is evil?

Am I high or not high enough?
            Not nearly enough. It's unacceptable to expect that an USB device would just work when you plug it in. That's like Windows and therefore Bad(tm). We want a proper l33t unix system so plugging and unplugging a pendrive should require a manual kernel rebuild. At a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              We want a proper l33t unix system so plugging and unplugging a pendrive should require a manual kernel rebuild. At a minimum.
              Truly Unix systems would use carefully hand-crafted scripts for that.

Comment

Not nearly enough. It's unacceptable to expect that an USB device would just work when you plug it in. That's like Windows and therefore Bad(tm). We want a proper l33t unix system so plugging and unplugging a pendrive should require a manual kernel rebuild. At a minimum.
                Kernel rebuild? More like a custom kernel. At a minimum.

Comment

And as to be expected from the "I use arch btw" l4m3r5 / trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

And as to be expected from the "I use arch btw" l4m3r5 / trolls.
                    Really, y'all? Supporting ability to suspend/resume USB devices & ports in an attempt to both save power and make Linux better/less buggy is evil?

Am I high or not high enough?
                    BTW, I use Arch you damn OSist bastard

OK. I really use Manjaro . I iz two dum fore Arch

Comment

BTW, I use Arch you damn OSist bastard

OK. I really use Manjaro . I iz two dum fore Arch
                      Manjaro doesn't count as its 'too easy to use' 👍

Comment

Working...
                      X