Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Starts Tapping ChromeOS For USB Devices That Support Auto-Suspend Well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Systemd Starts Tapping ChromeOS For USB Devices That Support Auto-Suspend Well

    Phoronix: Systemd Starts Tapping ChromeOS For USB Devices That Support Auto-Suspend Well

    Systemd has begun harvesting the automatic suspend rules from ChromeOS for determining which USB devices support automatic suspend well out-of-the-box on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...to-suspend-usb

  • #2
    Oh my God, systemd is going to take ChromeOS as a single giant binary and run it under PID 1! It's all part of a secret conspiracy led by Poettering to destroy the famous Unix Philosophy (tm), which states that USB devices should never work out of the box, particularly not in suspend/resume scenarios!

    Comment


    • #3
      Typo:

      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      as being "okay" for dealing wuth USB automatic suspend.
      No need to bring the trolling crew...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Oh my God, systemd is going to take ChromeOS as a single giant binary and run it under PID 1! It's all part of a secret conspiracy led by Poettering to destroy the famous Unix Philosophy (tm), which states that USB devices should never work out of the box, particularly not in suspend/resume scenarios!
        Not only is all systemd code executing in kernel mode as PID 1 but now the systemd kernel also depends on mouse firmware state what next? Maybe they'll pick a MCU instruction set as the official systemd ISA and force everyone to target this new ISA in order to run their force feedback dildos!

        Comment


        • #5
          This is great - next systemd can decide when to update and restart your system, just like Windows10.

          Comment


          • #6
            Really, y'all? Supporting ability to suspend/resume USB devices & ports in an attempt to both save power and make Linux better/less buggy is evil?

            Am I high or not high enough?

            Comment


            • #7
              3G/LTE modems autosuspend is needed for a long time, it's off by default at this moment for all modems.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish, in a future USB version, there would be feature flags, so we could drop the destined-to-be-buggy device ID's. It's like browser sniffing.

                There is a huge list of device ids in libmtp as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Really, y'all? Supporting ability to suspend/resume USB devices & ports in an attempt to both save power and make Linux better/less buggy is evil?

                  Am I high or not high enough?
                  They are joking, it's smart that the systemd developers are utilizing work that the ChromeOS team has already done (and tested in the field).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

                    They are joking, it's smart that the systemd developers are utilizing work that the ChromeOS team has already done (and tested in the field).
                    So not high enough

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X