Samba 4.12 Bringing Much Faster Encryption Performance With GnuTLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba 4.12 Bringing Much Faster Encryption Performance With GnuTLS

Phoronix: Samba 4.12 Bringing Much Faster Encryption Performance With GnuTLS

Samba 4.11 was just released a few weeks back with big scalability improvements, but looking ahead to Samba 4.12 will be some big performance improvements for those leveraging encryption...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought the 5 orders of magnitude mentioned in the article would have been some sort of typo - 5x faster. But link shows it is indeed 50x faster in that test.

I hope they soon sort out their kerberos stuff - having two competing implementations with different feature sets is a problem, especially in enterprise distros.

Comment

As always when projects get their crypto into shape, this is great news! Thanks for that and hopefully the remaining patches get merged in time.

Comment

Will definitely be monitoring how this develops.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          I thought the 5 orders of magnitude mentioned in the article would have been some sort of typo - 5x faster. But link shows it is indeed 50x faster in that test.

I hope they soon sort out their kerberos stuff - having two competing implementations with different feature sets is a problem, especially in enterprise distros.
          50 times faster is still not 5 orders of magnitude. That would be ~10^5 times faster.

Comment

Is this also going to be used on samba servers?

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
              Is this also going to be used on samba servers?
              Insofar that you turn on smb encryption on you samba server, yes. Encryption is an SMB 3.0+ feature.

For reference:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/cur...mb.conf.5.html , search for "smb encrypt".

Comment

Working...
              X