Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.4-rc1 Kernel Steps Forward With Next-Gen GPU Bits, Arm Laptop Support & exFAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any words about mainlining of Valve fsync patches?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I agree, but doesn't open source software have an advantage here in comparison to Windows 10 on ARM? At least when the software wasn't coded full of x86-isms.
      It does but what about proprietary? (e.g. games and DefleMask)

(oh, and Wine apps)

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

But what can you actually do with them if they are to last entire day? My dream is a laptop I could charge once and use for a ~14 hours flight to watch movies, not just stare at a still desktop.
        Are you going to stay awake during these 14 hours anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Are you going to stay awake during these 14 hours anyway?
          That's whataboutery. Maybe I am, the point being, ARM processors can bring us closer to that and for that I think ARM laptops have a great selling point, even if they have their own limitations.

Comment

But what can you actually do with them if they are to last entire day? My dream is a laptop I could charge once and use for a ~14 hours flight to watch movies, not just stare at a still desktop.
            Tablets today cannot even last that long, and you expect a laptop to do so? My tablet powered by a Mediatek Helios x27 SoC (decacore CPU) already loses 40% of its charge playing movies for about 4 hours. On minimum brightness.

And any standard airline (emphasis: not budget/no-frills airlines) who serves long distance flights and do not provide power outlets for passengers is a no go.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 01 October 2019, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Tablets today cannot even last that long, and you expect a laptop to do so?
              That's because laptops have more space for a battery than tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Tablets today cannot even last that long, and you expect a laptop to do so? My tablet powered by a Mediatek Helios x27 SoC (decacore CPU) already loses 40% of its charge playing movies for about 4 hours. On minimum brightness.

And any standard airline (emphasis: not budget/no-frills airlines) who serves long distance flights and do not provide power outlets for passengers is a no go.
                No I don't expect today's laptops to last that long, but my point was that a laptop (not tablet) that could be actually used for that many hours on a single charge is something that I would like to buy and I'm sure that I'm not alone. It can be watching movies, it can be development (compilation, debugging), it can be playing a game etc. Pretty much any form of real, full blown, CPU, GPU and/or IO intensive use.

The argument that some laptops already have a theoretical autonomy approaching such times is moot if the only way to actually achieve anything close to that in practice is to switch the laptop on and then leave it alone idling. But if there is currently any hope of gradually moving in that direction, it would be with an ARM-based laptop, much more likely than Intel or AMD-based.

Comment

isnt exFat a license needed fs ? or did i miss that micro$oft also opensourced it ?

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post
                    isnt exFat a license needed fs ? or did i miss that micro$oft also opensourced it ?
                    You missed it that M$ open sourced it some weeks ago.

Comment

But if there is currently any hope of gradually moving in that direction, it would be with an ARM-based laptop, much more likely than Intel or AMD-based.
                      This is already a solved issue. If the manufacturers simply put together a laptop, with 2005-2010 era dimensions (throwing away all that slim factor bullsh*t) , but with the CPU and integration level of current ultrabooks, you could easily take advantage of all the empty space to put in there twice or even three times the battery size.
                      No need to explore the ARM alternative at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X