Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Free Software Foundation Endorses First Router In 3 Years - But It's 10/100 + 802.11n WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buntolo
    replied
    I don't understand this: "Base pricing on the mini WLAN router from ThinkPenguin.com is $64 USD but can go up if wanting to bundle a VPN service, upgrade to the latest software release before shipping, or upgrading from a 90-day to one or three year warranty."

I've checked on the website as well (https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-lin...v2-tpe-r1200-0) and still I don't understand, is the 90 days/1 year/3 years warranty an extra on top of the base 1 year warranty (so warranty would be 1 year 90d/2y/4y) or the total?

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It would be nice if that were possible via wifi without proprietary blobs. This is the world we live in, companies hiding their sloppy and insecure crapware from inspection inside proprietary black box blobs.
    And yet we all use it and it works just fine.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    which makes me wonder, how exactly freedom of non-managed switch's software is respected by defining it out of existence?
    If there is no OS there can't be blobs loaded at runtime.

That's their own very narrow concept of "software freedom"

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it doesn't respect freedom. to respect freedom you have to provide free reimplementation of non-free pieces. if you are just cutting out features, you are showing disrespect
    Let us all know when you get that done. What - you weren't working on it? That's disrespect.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    afaik the FSF is fine with non-managed switches.
    which makes me wonder, how exactly freedom of non-managed switch's software is respected by defining it out of existence?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by commodore256 View Post
    They endorse the newest hardware that respects software freedom and privacy.
    it doesn't respect freedom. to respect freedom you have to provide free reimplementation of non-free pieces. if you are just cutting out features, you are showing disrespect

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    10/100 Ethernet is pathetic, on the other hand. Wired connections can push more, and this sort of thing makes a huge difference when using a NAS.
    subj requires switch, it has only one lan port(maybe it is not bad thing, but why it costs several times more than 5 port router from nearest supermarket). so you can have your 10gbit switch with nas. subj is only limiting wan speed to 100mbit, but that is acceptable for most customers.
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    Gigabit has been a standard since 1999, and there's no reason to use something inferior simply because wireless connections can't handle that much.
    actually it is pretty common for routers to have more capable wireless connections than wired onec. subj is not an exception
    Last edited by pal666; 26 September 2019, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Imroy View Post
    The SoC has Wifi built-in. Can you not see the antennae in the photos?
    i can't see driver in the photos. without driver soc and antennae do not work

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by commodore256 View Post

In 99% of case it is at least 10-year-old hardware.

Leave a comment:

• commodore256
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Free Software Foundation: Endorsing Ancient Hardware, Always.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X