Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Free Software Foundation Endorses First Router In 3 Years - But It's 10/100 + 802.11n WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    10/100 Ethernet is pathetic, on the other hand. Wired connections can push more, and this sort of thing makes a huge difference when using a NAS.
    subj requires switch, it has only one lan port(maybe it is not bad thing, but why it costs several times more than 5 port router from nearest supermarket). so you can have your 10gbit switch with nas. subj is only limiting wan speed to 100mbit, but that is acceptable for most customers.
    Gigabit has been a standard since 1999, and there's no reason to use something inferior simply because wireless connections can't handle that much.
    actually it is pretty common for routers to have more capable wireless connections than wired onec. subj is not an exception
    Last edited by pal666; 26 September 2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commodore256 View Post
      They endorse the newest hardware that respects software freedom and privacy.
      it doesn't respect freedom. to respect freedom you have to provide free reimplementation of non-free pieces. if you are just cutting out features, you are showing disrespect

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        afaik the FSF is fine with non-managed switches.
        which makes me wonder, how exactly freedom of non-managed switch's software is respected by defining it out of existence?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it doesn't respect freedom. to respect freedom you have to provide free reimplementation of non-free pieces. if you are just cutting out features, you are showing disrespect
          Let us all know when you get that done. What - you weren't working on it? That's disrespect.

Comment

which makes me wonder, how exactly freedom of non-managed switch's software is respected by defining it out of existence?
            If there is no OS there can't be blobs loaded at runtime.

That's their own very narrow concept of "software freedom"

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It would be nice if that were possible via wifi without proprietary blobs. This is the world we live in, companies hiding their sloppy and insecure crapware from inspection inside proprietary black box blobs.
              And yet we all use it and it works just fine.

Comment

I don't understand this: "Base pricing on the mini WLAN router from ThinkPenguin.com is $64 USD but can go up if wanting to bundle a VPN service, upgrade to the latest software release before shipping, or upgrading from a 90-day to one or three year warranty."

I've checked on the website as well (https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-lin...v2-tpe-r1200-0) and still I don't understand, is the 90 days/1 year/3 years warranty an extra on top of the base 1 year warranty (so warranty would be 1 year 90d/2y/4y) or the total?

Comment

subj
                  actually it is pretty common for routers to have more capable wireless connections than wired onec. subj is not an exception
                  In case of 802.11n, the best real world performance you can expect is ~100mbps, and that's with a proper 4x4 setup. I don't recall seeing a router with a wireless connection that's faster than wired ones, as it makes no sense whatsoever. Normies will want to be able to use all bandwidth they have, and having the wired part be the bottleneck makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                    And yet we all use it and it works just fine.
                    And yet the successful black hat hacking attacks, especially by state actors, are unceasing. I don't think "works just fine" is an adequate appraisal. Works just fine if you are a hacker for a state run spy organization and are looking for easy network entry points.

Comment

In case of 802.11n, the best real world performance you can expect is ~100mbps, and that's with a proper 4x4 setup. I don't recall seeing a router with a wireless connection that's faster than wired ones, as it makes no sense whatsoever.
                      all non-entry level routers are higher than n. you probably will get more sustained throughput via gigabit ethernet, but surely in good conditions you can see higher wireless speeds at least sometimes. same goes for n vs 100mbit
                      Normies will want to be able to use all bandwidth they have, and having the wired part be the bottleneck makes no sense.
                      many things make no sense from some pov but are still being sold. most people do not have available wan bandwidth higher than 100mbit anyway, that's why i said it is acceptable for them
                      Last edited by pal666; 01 October 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X