Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WireGuard Will Port To Existing Linux Crypto API In Order To Make It In The Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WireGuard Will Port To Existing Linux Crypto API In Order To Make It In The Kernel

Phoronix: WireGuard Will Port To Existing Linux Crypto API In Order To Make It In The Kernel

The WireGuard open-source secure network tunnel won't be mainlined for Linux 5.4 but there finally is an action plan for getting this promising network security tech into the kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what kernel will be next LTS. Be great if wireguard made to next LTS....

Comment

WireGuard now will be ported to the existing Linux crypto API and the Zinc effort will be handled separately after the fact. WireGuard now will be ported to the existing Linux crypto API and the Zinc effort will be handled separately after the fact.
      Double sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        I wonder what kernel will be next LTS. Be great if wireguard made to next LTS....
        That will be 5.4, according to https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html. So no WireGuard in the next LTS.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if this makes WireGuard any slower

Comment

Hopefully the current kernel modules are maintained, or some userspace way of using zinc is added

Comment

seems like a sensible solution to a roadblock.

Comment

For anyone wondering why Zinc was used to begin with: https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2018/t...ptography-api/

I also advocate for Zinc. It's a bit disappointing to see something as promising as Wireguard be seemingly "tainted" by the rough and old Crypto API that most don't seem to have that great of an opinion of.
                Last edited by computerquip; 26 September 2019, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I really hope it's in by the time Ubuntu 20.04LTS is released. This is starting to become a real embarrassment.

Comment

I really hope the current (Zinc based) branch is kept alive in parallel for those of us that want to build and use it manually. But I am curious as to what will happen going foward. Will Zinc support be removed from the ios/windows/macos etc clients? I dont mind using the current snapshot on linux for the foreseeable future barring any known security issues, but would be nice if all the other devices play nice with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X