Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs & XFS File-Systems See More Fixes With Linux 5.4

Phoronix: Btrfs & XFS File-Systems See More Fixes With Linux 5.4

The mature XFS and Btrfs file-systems continue seeing more fixes and cleaning with the now in-development Linux 5.4 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good morning, everyone.
    a question about the xfs.
    with the improvements it has had in recent years and still today, is it adapted to work on modern ssd like nvme or is it better to go to file systems like f2fs, btrfs.
    thank you in advance for your answers

Comment

What is the status of Btrfs RAID 5 these days? Has it been fixed?

Comment

Has any progress been made toward adding native encryption support to Btrfs?

Comment

Originally posted by opentux View Post
          Good morning, everyone.
          with the improvements it has had in recent years and still today, is it adapted to work on modern ssd like nvme or is it better to go to file systems like f2fs, btrfs.
          F2FS is good for flash devices without controller, like SD Cards or PEN Drives.
          NVMe and regular SSD drives have dedicated hardware controller that make F2FS advantages redundant.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

EDIT:
          Bottom line, i'd use XFS.
          Last edited by nomadewolf; 19 September 2019, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by opentux View Post
            Good morning, everyone.
            I'd use btrfs only if I needed its peculiar features (snapshots, checksumming) otherwise I'd use XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              F2FS is good for flash devices without controller, like SD Cards or PEN Drives.
              Minor nitpick: SD card and USB flash drives still have a storage controller(also Hard drives do), but it is weak, not as good as a Sata or NVME SSD.

Comment

Always scary to read about bugs and filesystems in the same sentence. Especially when your main system uses both BTRFS and XFS...

Comment

Those who write they would use XFS. Why do you prefer it over EXT4?

Comment

I have XFS as the filesystem on my Talos II system. I'm using ext4 on this Ryzen 3900. Btrfs everywhere else.

Why XFS? I hadn't used it in a while, and I remember it used to be faster than EXT3 so I picked it just because.

Comment

Working...
                    X