An Alternative exFAT Linux File-System Driver Based On Samsung's sdFAT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Only reason I said F2FS is because it's a file system designed for flash drives.
    I agree on the principle. I just said that it is a dumpster fire outside of Android and I don't want to use something that is less safe than Fat32.

On the Linux desktop comment, that becomes a moot point if the corporations backing various Linus projects agree to use XYZ file system and then fund the porting/rewriting/whatever.
    Port of what to what.

The paranoid conspiracy theory side of me says MS made FAT more permissive to preempt other corporations undermining one of their basic standards
    Your conspiracy theory side is wrong.

Everyone and their dog bought exFAT licenses long ago and have been using them ever since. exFAT is part of the standard for bigger/faster SDcards.

The war is long since won, exFat is a standard with as wide usage as FAT32. There is no need to fight anymore. It's low-importance enough that they can dump what is left of its patents for a simple PR move.

NTFS would no longer be the file system of choice for Windows Servers. I can almost guarantee we're getting exFAT because any suitable FAT32 replacement ported over from Linux Land would also replace NTFS and that's something that MS can't allow to happen until WinFS (or whatever it's called now) is actually ready for release and mass use.
    There isn't a whole lot of need for something better than NTFS, bulk of Windows servers aren't going to run so performance-critical applications that can't be solved by the end user with enterprise SSDs.

Which is why the ReFS filesystem isn't going nowhere, nor is the "software raid" component of Windows (Storage Spaces), that is there since Win7 and everyone keeps using RAID cards or even shit-grade Intel Matrix RAID integrated in the motherboard (i.e. softraid disguised as hardware).

Comment

F2FS has at least another five years of meat-beating and ball-rolling development before it's stable and proven viable enough for mass-deployment in consumer Windows and Apple systems. Over that time, the market will transition to laptops and desktops with NVME SSD boot drives as the default storage choice, so it will be a useful addition to the respective OS toolbox.

Comment

Working...
      X