Support Is Being Worked On For Root File-System Support Over SMB Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Is Being Worked On For Root File-System Support Over SMB Protocol

Phoronix: Support Is Being Worked On For Root File-System Support Over SMB Protocol

A Phoronix reader pointed out recent patches by a SUSE engineer working on support for mounting root file-systems over SMB (Samba)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Serious question: is there any practical reason beyond the "Just for the Lulz!" tinkerer's justification ?

I would have expected most of the remote-root needs being covered by NFSv4 and Kerberos authentication...

Comment

I, for one, welcome our slow boot Overlords. Sounds like a hoot.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        Serious question: is there any practical reason beyond the "Just for the Lulz!" tinkerer's justification ?

I would have expected most of the remote-root needs being covered by NFSv4 and Kerberos authentication...
        I don't understand the objection. Of course there is practical reason behind the work?
        There are a lot of Windows or Linux servers running CIFS and not NFS that can handle a diskless station system.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

I don't understand the objection. Of course there is practical reason behind the work?
          There are a lot of Windows or Linux servers running CIFS and not NFS that can handle a diskless station system.
          But -- can it run Crysis?

Comment

Wouldn't this cause permission issues? Windows and Linux have different permission systems, which can easily break the system.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

For which the correct solution is to setup NFS, not try and work around SMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

NFS is such a trainwreck that I can't imagine any scenario in which using it would be the correct solution.
                Last edited by jacob; 13 September 2019, 07:05 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Wouldn't this cause permission issues? Windows and Linux have different permission systems, which can easily break the system.
                  Welcome to horrible. SMB was made by IBM for Unix systems. So samba can do permissions Linux wants.

But its coming very unsupported when running Samba4 active directory.

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  NFS has it own set of problems like having issues when you need to use user id 0.

Lot of ways both SMB and NFS are both borked up for doing remote providing of root.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    Welcome to horrible. SMB was made by IBM for Unix systems. So samba can do permissions Linux wants.

But its coming very unsupported when running Samba4 active directory.

NFS has it own set of problems like having issues when you need to use user id 0.

Lot of ways both SMB and NFS are both borked up for doing remote providing of root.
                    SMB has its own issues for sure, but in the real world its THE filesystem sharing protocol that everyone uses. Well except maybe some universities that still have networks of diskless Sun or HP Apollo workstations that have been installed in the 1980s and never updated since. From a purely practical PoV, I think that Linux should focus primarily on having a rock solid, world class support for SMB, both as client and as server, with feature complete support for root on SMB, authentication, ACLs and all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Working...
                    X