Outreachy Applications Open For The Winter 2019 Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gabber View Post
    The only thing wrong is your assumption that males and females have the same preferences.
    Women are not born thinking "oh computers aren't for women" or with any less preference than men, it's society that shapes and pushes them in other directions because of stereotypes and injustices.

That to me, isn't right. But equally, I don't think saying "to combat this, we'll create environments where only those under-represented in the field are allowed" is right either. I'd rather Outreachy help anyone that wants help working on an open source project who might not be able to otherwise.

Somewhat annoying is that people go around saying anyone who doesn't agree with them an ist, tech-bro or showing 'white privilege'.
    Last edited by Britoid; 09 September 2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      I'm not sure why this racist and sexist organization is still being advertised for here.
      Agree completely, there is some news on here I don't like but feel I need to know eg. "Microsoft Teams Is Coming To Linux" (embrace extend extinguish and all that). Outreachy is the epitome of everything these pathetic "progressives" stand against, it's just that who they are bias towards is socially acceptable if not encouraged.

Originally posted by Panda_Wrist View Post
      Outreachy is both racist and sexist. a program for only white males would be hated by all, but a program that is against white males i.e. outreachy is loved by all. both are bad and should not exist.
      You need to reaccess how you are manipulated to think. Why would "a program for only white males would be hated by all", I see stuff like black girls code, women/feminist that-and-that etc all operate with impunity but if a white person started one that is the one example universally considered to be bad. I guess if you read and believe the endless stream about "nazis" waiting around every corner... Really lends a lot of credence to the whole repeat everything until it's taken as truth.

A place I worked at not long ago had a woman that ran a "black girls code" outfit, of course true to form she couldn't program anything herself (and used more buzzwords in normal conversation when talking to devs that I have ever seen a human being use). I'm against these places on principal but I never brough it up. Eventually she approached me and asked if I would teach there. My reply was along the lines of "why would I help you run something that would otherwise turn me away at the door, you can go fuck yourself". I don't mince words when dealing with the parasites in this industry and nobody else here should either.

Comment

Wow, getting paid to work on coding projects related to Gnome. Sounds like an interesting opportunity!

Oh never mind, I’m a white male... Wait, what if I’m part indian? Will you love me then, Outreachy?

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
          Wow, getting paid to work on coding projects related to Gnome. Sounds like an interesting opportunity!

Oh never mind, I’m a white male...

Let's dye our skin.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

Oh never mind, I’m a white male... Wait, what if I’m part indian? Will you love me then, Outreachy?
            "White man bad." And this is not racism I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Women are not born thinking "oh computers aren't for women" or with any less preference than men, it's society that shapes and pushes them in other directions because of stereotypes and injustices.
              No, there has been actual research about this and there is a clear difference in that males are on average more interested in things and females more in people. There is probably an evolutionary reason for this. That doesn't mean that there aren't woman that are interested in computers or engineering in general, they are just rare compared to the men that are interested in this fields. It has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence or that one sex would be better at this, it is simply a matter of choice.

Most women I work with in tech actually find things like Outreachy insulting, because it makes it look as if they need help to do the same thing men are doing. And I completely agree with them.

So not only is this organization openly racist and sexist, it is actively hurting the people they try to help.

Comment

Working...
              X