Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outreachy Applications Open For The Winter 2019 Round

Phoronix: Outreachy Applications Open For The Winter 2019 Round

Outreachy's summer round recently wrapped up while their winter round for participants in the southern hemisphere is now open...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The bigots are at it again, I'll get the popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      I think it's a valid opinion to agree with Outreachy's motives but not their methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I think it's a valid opinion to agree with Outreachy's motives but not their methods.
        No it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
          Get lost. You are the bigot here. You have 100 and some posts, and the only thing you do on Phoronix is crawl out of the woodwork to troll on Outreachy or CoC threads.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No it's not.
            What are you suggesting here, that the motives aren't agreeable? Because if so, what exactly do you think the motives are?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Get lost. You are the bigot here. You have 100 and some posts, and the only thing you do on Phoronix is crawl out of the woodwork to troll on Outreachy or CoC threads.
              Oh so I am the bigots for not being a firm believer in the cult of bigotry of low expectations? How ironic, I don't "other" people, and I certainly don't think people are less- anything because of their skin colour and whatnot

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                What are you suggesting here
                That you should not split motives from methods. That's spindoctoring.

You can attach pure motives on anything, "the end does not justify your means" still applies.

that the motives aren't agreeable?
                Tangential to my point.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  That you should not split motives from methods. That's spindoctoring.

You can attach pure motives on anything, "the end does not justify your means" still applies.
                  I agree, but I don't think Britoid was suggesting that Outreacy is justified. It is completely reasonable to approve of someone's intentions but strongly disagree with the way they go about executing something. To exemplify this, take a look at a non-political situation:
                  Let's say a car manufacturer wants to edge out the competition by having the best fuel economy without having something gutless or expensive. The manufacturer decides to accomplish this by stripping out all amenities, and replace normal wheels with bicycle tires. A lot of people would love the idea of something that's faster and cheaper than everything else in the same segment, but once you realize what it is they did to achieve that, suddenly, you're not so interested. It's perfectly fine to like what they intended to do but walk away from (or even ridicule) their solution.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I agree, but I don't think Britoid was suggesting that Outreacy is justified. It is completely reasonable to approve of someone's intentions but strongly disagree with the way they go about executing something. To exemplify this, take a look at a non-political situation:
                    Let's say a car manufacturer wants to edge out the competition by having the best fuel economy without having something gutless or expensive. The manufacturer decides to accomplish this by stripping out all amenities, and replace normal wheels with bicycle tires. A lot of people would love the idea of something that's faster and cheaper than everything else in the same segment, but once you realize what it is they did to achieve that, suddenly, you're not so interested. It's perfectly fine to like what they intended to do but walk away from (or even ridicule) their solution.
                    Pretty much.

e.g. I agree that there's something wrong in that the computing field is completely dominated by white men (I'm one too), when the population is fairly evenly divided between male and female, but yet there is nothing about computing that makes white males any better at it.

However, I think it's caused by stereotypes and in-balances in society (coming from schools, parents, media etc) and I'm all for fixing that, but actively excluding against the perceived majority group is putting a weak plaster over the problem rather than fixing said problem and further deepens divisions in society.

Comment

Working...
                    X