Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUPS 2.3 Printing System Finally Released With Licensing Change & Other Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS 2.3 Printing System Finally Released With Licensing Change & Other Additions

Phoronix: CUPS 2.3 Printing System Finally Released With Licensing Change & Other Additions

Nearly three years to the day since the release of CUPS 2.2, the release of CUPS 2.3 that had been delayed more than one year is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The release was probably prompted over CVE-2019-8696. Regardless, the 2.2 branch was patched as well so the new licensing isn't being forced just yet.

Comment

Apple, which has been under the control of CUPS
      in control of CUPS?

Comment

And it broke my HP DeskJet on Arch Linux!
        After first failing to print because of an invalid PPD file, now I can't even add it to my printer list anymore (even though it gets recognized) because of an internal CUPS error!

Awesome APPLE-ware, as usual!

Comment

The Apache license is also used in Android, which has 2 versions: a commercial, closed-source one with the Google stuff (found pre-installed on every smartphone today), and an open-source one (AOSP) (found in LineageOS).

I fear they may do the same with CUPS...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            The Apache license is also used in Android, which has 2 versions: a commercial, closed-source one with the Google stuff (found pre-installed on every smartphone today), and an open-source one (AOSP) (found in LineageOS).

I fear they may do the same with CUPS...
            Android userspace has only Apache license.
            It makes no sense to have dual-licensed product if you have a permissive license like Apache or BSD or MIT that allows downstream to do what they want without sharing their work (so they can protect their precious treasure or something).

The only reason to have a dual license is if one of the two licenses is a copyleft license like the GPL that forces the downstream to opensource their work. For example the Qt project, that has GPL (or LGPL) and commercial license. Or Canonical with their own stuff (that is GPL but they can relicense into a commercial license for the sake of selling it to a customer).

The thing many useless hacks posing as "press" call "Android License" in articles like the ones about Huawei getting something revoked is the certification for GMS services (aka Google Play Services + Play store) and possibly the use of the name/brand "Android", which is indeed a proprietary license for a proprietary extension to an otherwise opensource product.

Android OS is still pretty much fine without any Google service.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              The release was probably prompted over CVE-2019-8696. Regardless, the 2.2 branch was patched as well so the new licensing isn't being forced just yet.
              Frankly the new license is the best thing that could happen to CUPs. Why? Mainly because the software will end far more widely used which is a good thing for printer support.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
                in control of CUPS?
                Either way the statements are non sensical. If people actually believe the non sense that comes from the GPL community they would have to believe that CUPS is under nobodies control. After all the GPL is suppose to protect that code which it does. The problem is I doubt anybody will pick up support of the old GPL version. The issue is simply this it is a lot of work to support such a package and that means somebody employed to support the work. In the end the community needs a large corporation behind this.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  And it broke my HP DeskJet on Arch Linux!
                  Who installed this software?
                  After first failing to print because of an invalid PPD file, now I can't even add it to my printer list anymore (even though it gets recognized) because of an internal CUPS error!

Awesome APPLE-ware, as usual!
                  Just like every other piece of software out there, submit the bug reports and help improve the quality. Considering how well CUPs has and does work over the years Apple must be doing a bang up job.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Frankly the new license is the best thing that could happen to CUPs. Why? Mainly because the software will end far more widely used which is a good thing for printer support.
                    CUPS was used everywhere except Windows so I doubt this will change anything for the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X