Virglrenderer 0.8 Offers Better Open-Source OpenGL Support To KVM/QEMU Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I don't see anything stating VirGL is doing DX.
    it doesn't. it does gallium, nine can convert dx to gallium
    it probably will through DX-over-Vulkan layers imho
    virgl knows no vulkan and gallium knows no vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Anti-cheats usually pretty good in detecting the fact that program is running in virtual machine, so virgl not gonna help here anyway. We need either native releases with native EAC/BattleEye, or some solution from Valve.
      I don't agree with your first point.

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

Protected games work just fine in VMs. It was only VAC that disallowed csgo VM play for a while, but that was only because VMs were abused for account boosting and the restriction was sort of removed once they solved the issue in other ways.
      Vanilla CS:GO doesn't really fit my definition of a game with client-side anti-cheat software. Most others have issue (see below).

Here are my findings: VMware, Virtualbox, Unraid(KVM) and some others are detected by popular Anti-cheat for the past 1-3 years. Stock KVM with VFIO on Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch runs Rust (EAC), CS:GO (ESEA), Arma3/PUBG (BattlEye), and Battlefield 1 (FairFight?) in KVM. It should be quite easy to detect my gaming VM, but it would seem Anti-cheat software is only going after commercial solutions for now.

I have tried to reached out to ESEA. I explained use my system the way that I do and wanted their take on the situation, but have yet to receive feedback from them. That said, vanilla CS:GO is the game that has the most cheaters in my experience and or region. I watch a ton of overwatch and most competitive games that I play with this config: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=226647583 it really helps to spot the script kiddies.

I don't want to admit this... In theory I agree with Valve about training A.I. to detect cheaters. In current reality though it seems that generally speaking client-side anti-cheat is working better. There are obviously an array of issues that I have with client-side anti-cheat, like backdoor/privacy issues, false positives that have led people to loose their accounts and general bad experiences like game disconnections or out of date EAC Linux clients that prevents you from playing legal games that you have payed for!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I don't agree with your first point.

Vanilla CS:GO doesn't really fit my definition of a game with client-side anti-cheat software. Most others have issue (see below).

Here are my findings: VMware, Virtualbox, Unraid(KVM) and some others are detected by popular Anti-cheat for the past 1-3 years. Stock KVM with VFIO on Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch runs Rust (EAC), CS:GO (ESEA), Arma3/PUBG (BattlEye), and Battlefield 1 (FairFight?) in KVM. It should be quite easy to detect my gaming VM, but it would seem Anti-cheat software is only going after commercial solutions for now.

I have tried to reached out to ESEA. I explained use my system the way that I do and wanted their take on the situation, but have yet to receive feedback from them. That said, vanilla CS:GO is the game that has the most cheaters in my experience and or region. I watch a ton of overwatch and most competitive games that I play with this config: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=226647583 it really helps to spot the script kiddies.

I don't want to admit this... In theory I agree with Valve about training A.I. to detect cheaters. In current reality though it seems that generally speaking client-side anti-cheat is working better. There are obviously an array of issues that I have with client-side anti-cheat, like backdoor/privacy issues, false positives that have led people to loose their accounts and general bad experiences like game disconnections or out of date EAC Linux clients that prevents you from playing legal games that you have payed for!
        That makes total sense, I wasn't aware ACs blocked other VM systems, as I was only using KVM/QEMU.

And I agree that valve's approach doesn't currently work, but it will with time. At the moment they seem to be still playing it safe and putting the player to overwatch queue instead of insta-bannimg them. One possible solution would be to make the detection real-time and have a realtime overwatch. That would allow to ban the player while in game, but we have no idea how much processing time the detection NN needs.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Somebody should start a project to support DirectX 11 on VM via Vulkan based on DXVK.
          They are already working on that

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
            Awesome!

Also, is it called VirGL or Virgil? It seems that only the features page calls it Virgil.

Comment

Working...
            X