Virglrenderer 0.8 Offers Better Open-Source OpenGL Support To KVM/QEMU Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Anti-cheats usually pretty good in detecting the fact that program is running in virtual machine, so virgl not gonna help here anyway. We need either native releases with native EAC/BattleEye, or some solution from Valve.
    Protected games work just fine in VMs. It was only VAC that disallowed csgo VM play for a while, but that was only because VMs were abused for account boosting and the restriction was sort of removed once they solved the issue in other ways.
    Last edited by GreenByte; 29 August 2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Does it work with spice over tcp?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Running Linux games on a VM on Linux is kind of weird.

But that's good progress, at least this is going to be good for running Android applications with 3D acceleration.

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Parallels recently got Direct3D 11 implemented in Metal for Mac OS w/ Windows 10 guests. Perhaps VMWare Workstation has something planned next for Linux hosts?
        I'm not holding my breath for that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Running Linux games on a VM on Linux is kind of weird.

But that's good progress, at least this is going to be good for running Android applications with 3D acceleration.

I'm not holding my breath for that.
          I'm not a gamer, but on my regular PC, I've moved all desktop stuff into VMs, only running a thin Ubuntu Server install as the host. Very comfortable. It's not like native, but it's good enough for me. Would be nice to be able to play more games, though I wouldn't use VirGL if gaming was important to my setup.

Comment

lol I actually forgot about virgl, and just went ahead and used GPU passthrough for my VM. Obviously that takes more work, but, at least I get pretty much bare-metal GPU performance.

Comment

Any update on QEMU Windows Direct3D guest support?
              There is zero support.

Parallels recently got Direct3D 11 implemented in Metal for Mac OS w/ Windows 10 guests. Perhaps VMWare Workstation has something planned next for Linux hosts?
              ?? Vmware already has Direct3D acceleration for guest under Linux hosts. Performances aren't good. I tried to use it to run Unity Editor. Now I run it under Qemu/Kvm with GPU passthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                lol I actually forgot about virgl, and just went ahead and used GPU passthrough for my VM. Obviously that takes more work, but, at least I get pretty much bare-metal GPU performance.
                You aren't missing much, virgl is (at the moment) worthless for Windows as afaik there is no client drivers for Windows, and even if there are it's OpenGL 3.3 only, no DX at all.

(yes, making the big stab in the dark assumption that the VM is Windows as that's the most likely thing you would need a true GPU for)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  You aren't missing much, virgl is (at the moment) worthless for Windows as afaik there is no client drivers for Windows, and even if there are it's OpenGL 3.3 only, no DX at all.
                  i think it's gallium, so dx should be provided by nine

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    It's a possibility, but it's not implemented at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      I don't see anything stating VirGL is doing DX. All I see (as is also this test in the article/blog) is for OpenGL.
                      Again, I'm not saying this can't happen (it probably will through DX-over-Vulkan layers imho), just that right now It does not support DX.

Comment

Working...
                      X