Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.3-rc6 Released - Marking Linux's 28th Birthday

Phoronix: Linux 5.3-rc6 Released - Marking Linux's 28th Birthday

Linus Torvalds today released the sixth weekly test release of the upcoming Linux 5.3 kernel. It also happens to be 28 years to the day since Linus Torvalds announced the original Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy Birthday, Linux!

Comment

More people as me, feel 28 years looking to kernel achievements, is incredible?

Comment

It is quite incredible. Even more so that Linus Torvalds is still leading the project. I would have likely gotten bored and moved on to a new project long ago if it had been me. But I guess he has a lot of help from third party developers and corporations contributing. And if he's really making $10M/year, I guess that might be motivation to keep working on it.

Comment

The kernel that free the computers.

Comment

Best wishes Linux! Thanks Linus and everyone involved for giving us this wonderful system. Also big thanks to others developing FLOSS.

Comment

While the Kernel is just a small piece of our beloved OS, who knows in what dark ages we would live FOSS-wise, if Linux never came to be - so thank you and happy birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                [W]ho knows in what dark ages we would live FOSS-wise, if Linux never came to be
                It would probably be some variant of BSD or GNU would have poured a lot more into GNU Mach. I don't think we would be without a viable FOSS OS ecosystem. It would have been very different for sure.

Comment

I always wonder how different things would have turned out had the guy who set up the original repo on the TKK servers not changed the name from Freax to Linux because he thought the original name Linus gave it was too cringy.

Because I'm pretty sure a name like that would have put a lot of people off and the only reason why someone else set up the repo was because he was a Computer Science student at the University of Helsinki, not TKK, and they didn't allow students hosting their personal projects on their servers. Thus he had to go to the Computer Engineering faculty at TKK, who were much more relaxed about stuff like this and gladly hosted it for him.

For those a bit confused by this, we had two universities here in the greater Helsinki area back then with very confusing English language naming. The University of Helsinki had the Computer Science program and The Helsinki University of Technology, called Teknillinen Korkeakolu (TKK) in Finnish, which had the Computer Engineering program. They still haven't merged the two, but at least the naming is less confusing after TKK became Aalto University when it was merged with the Helsinki School of Economics and University of Art and Design.

Comment

if u refer to kernel only...well not that much compared to windows. there are still many devices that can't be used under linux. or has limited functionality. but that is probably not linux fault as it is also the manufacturer fault. but they probably don't like that much "open source" motto of linux. plus kernel update is a pain for me when it comes to drivers that are not part of kernel (ie nvidia).

Comment

Working...
                    X