Systemd 243 RC2 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

So wildly popular I'd never heard of it until your post so i checked Distrowatch and it shows systemd as part of the distribution. So at best its a choice especially as its based on Debian
    Nope "Systemd is included by default but not enabled"

Comment

Originally posted by gripped View Post

Nope "Systemd is included by default but not enabled"
      https://mxlinux.org/about-us/
      so its still a choice otherwise why bother including it?

Comment

So wildly popular I'd never heard of it until your post so i checked Distrowatch and it shows systemd as part of the distribution. So at best its a choice especially as its based on Debian

Comment

so its still a choice otherwise why bother including it?
          Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying, because you weren't entirely clear, "It's a choice to use MX Linux without systemd but as standard it uses systemd"
          Which isn't the case.

It's hard to have a Linux distro with no traces of systemd at all. Even where it is not being used as init, and where none of its other feature creep binaries are being used, many third party programs depend on systemd libs to some extent. So you have the likes of elogind providing a systemd shim to keep those programs happy. Or you can just install systemd's libs to keep those programs happy.

I don't use MX LInux but knew it was a non systemd option. I use Artix on my main PC

Comment

At which point you realized that MX Linux is wildly popular on Distrowatch, being the most popular distro by a wide margin, right? And that Distrowatch lists a number of rave reviews for it, calling it "distro of the year" and so forth.

And then you realized that MX Linux does not use systemd by default, but includes it in a disabled state and uses sysvinit and systemd shims instead. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              i see plenty of Distro's going back or being able to use ( sysvinit )
              Source? 'Cause I haven't seen any distro ditching systemd. Yes, there are distros without systemd, but they never had it to begin with so that doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Source? 'Cause I haven't seen any distro ditching systemd. Yes, there are distros without systemd, but they never had it to begin with so that doesn't count.
                Void Linux moved from systemd to runit by default in 2014: https://voidlinux.org/news/2014/07/r...y-default.html

I would find more for you, but my charitable web searching time is all used up today.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Void Linux moved from systemd to runit by default in 2014: https://voidlinux.org/news/2014/07/r...y-default.html

I would find more for you, but my charitable web searching time is all used up today.
                  Okay, let me rephrase that: Anvil said that he SEES distros ditching systemd, but I haven't seen that in quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                    i see plenty of Distro's going back or being able to use ( sysvinit )
                    stop abusing drugs

Comment

Originally posted by gripped View Post
                      It's hard to have a Linux distro with no traces of systemd at all.
                      just as it's hard to have a linux distro with no traces of glibc. but i'm sure you can find few hyperactive idiots if you look hard enough
                      Last edited by pal666; 27 August 2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X