Reiser4 File-System Port Updated For The Linux 5.1 + Linux 5.2 Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veto View Post
    The more interesting question is: Who would want to use a filesystem, where you are constantly reminded that it is the brain-child of an infamous convicted woman-killer?

If the file system is ever to be judged by its technical merits alone, the remaining developers should at least have the common sense to rename it to something else...
    Otherwise it is best left forgotten.
    who? maybe anyone who actually can separate the technical capabilities of a product from the morality of the ppl who made it? I think that's quite a normal, and functional way to live in society. I'd use CheGuevaraFS if it was faster and less buggy than btrfs.

Comment

The more interesting question is: Who would want to use a filesystem, where you are constantly reminded that it is the brain-child of an infamous convicted woman-killer?

If the file system is ever to be judged by its technical merits alone, the remaining developers should at least have the common sense to rename it to something else...
      Otherwise it is best left forgotten.
      Again with this crap?

You might not want to drive a car either, you heard that cars kill thousands of people each year? Gruesome deaths too.

The main reason none is using Reiser4 is because other filesystems have catched up years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You might not want to drive a car either, you heard that cars kill thousands of people each year? Gruesome deaths too.
        Straw Man / False analogy...
        Last edited by Veto; 16 August 2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post
          I'd use CheGuevaraFS if it was faster and less buggy than btrfs.
          And that is of course your right to do that. Thank you for answering my question

Comment

Straw Man / False analogy...
            Yeah, it sure is. Filesystems don't kill people. Cars sure do.

Comment

Yeah, it sure is. Filesystems don't kill people. Cars sure do.
              No shit, Sherlock!

Dear starshipeleven. Just a little tip, if you should ever want to have an adult and civilized discussion with anyone:
              1. Read/Listen what people say and try to understand instead of jumping to quick conclusions.
              2. Stop putting words in other peoples mouths and putting up straw men to impose fake attitudes to other people.
              What I wrote, was that the developers should have the decency to change the *name* of the file system (no matter its technical merits).

Just for the record, I own a Volkswagen car, and it is IMHO a mighty fine car. However, I will tell you with a straight face, that if it was named Hitlerwagen and they had kept the original swastika logo, I would not have touched the car with a ten foot pole - no matter its technical capabilities. Apparently some people in here don't care about something so mundane as the naming of stuff and what connotations it carries. That I can somewhat respect, even though I find it to be lack of thought or taste.

However twisting and turning other peoples arguments is just plain trolling.

PS. Sorry for going full Godwin - apparently things have to be bent in neon.
              Last edited by Veto; 18 August 2019, 07:33 PM. Reason: -

Comment

the developers should have the decency to change the *name* of the file system
                As I said the last thread you posted the same, this is bullshit, Reiser didn't commit a big enough crime to warrant that.

if it was named Hitlerwagen
                Hitler was responsible of genocide and war crimes. Reiser is just a common murderer. If we rule out all the names of common murders we run out of names in months.

However twisting and turning other peoples arguments is just plain trolling.
                It's an appropriate answer to people overreacting and comparing a guy that killed a woman to literal goddamn Hitler.

I can understand that FOR YOU it's the same level of bad because you don't have grasp on reality or something, but I want you to understand that FOR MOST OTHER PEOPLE it isn't.

For most people, to put a ban on the name and rename or remove insignia you need to be MUCH more of a common murderer.

Comment

It's an appropriate answer to people overreacting and comparing a guy that killed a woman to literal goddamn Hitler
                  If you read my post again, you might realize, you are the only one doing comparisons here. I gave an extreme example of why naming sometimes may evoke a negative feeling in people, as you apparently had trouble sympathizing with that. If you read to the end, I apologized for trying to go to that extreme. I am not even sure it worked...

I can understand that FOR YOU it's the same level of bad because you don't have grasp on reality or something...
                  Again, you failed to read and understand. The difference in their crime is of course obvious. But thank you for repeating it for us - lest we should forget.

For most people, to put a ban on the name and rename or remove insignia you need to be MUCH more of a common murderer.
                  I believe you are wrong. It is quite normal that common murderers legacy is attempted diminished in respect and sympathy for the victims and their relatives. Nobody before you, talked about banning names in general.

You are entitled to have your own opinions. However, from all your swearing and putting up straw men, it seems like you have trouble respecting that people may have opinions that differ from yours.

Heck, it could even had been interesting to find out, where exactly on the spectrum "common murderer" - "full genocide", it would be appropriate to rename a file system. But now we will never know

Goodbye!

Comment

Working...
                  X