Khronos Releases OpenCL 2.2-11 While Still Waiting For OpenCL-Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Releases OpenCL 2.2-11 While Still Waiting For OpenCL-Next

Phoronix: Khronos Releases OpenCL 2.2-11 While Still Waiting For OpenCL-Next

The Khronos Group has released the OpenCL 2.2-11 specification to address various issues with the existing OpenCL specification while the next major release as "OpenCL-Next" is likely still a number of months away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The adoption rate of newer OpenCL versions is very poor. Is their framework approach supposed to fix that? I cannot see that it would improve adoption if important features are not supported by all vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      The adoption rate of newer OpenCL versions is very poor.
      For us, the massive inconvenience of it not working on a specific platform configuration easily outweighs the small conveniences of the newer spec.

We stick with OpenCL 1.2 as the lowest common denominator approach.

What we find interesting is that currently CUDA is more readily available than newer versions of OpenCL and tying ourselves down to that is also not acceptable.

Though as with OpenGL certainly all blame belongs to the GPU manufacturers more than OpenCL or Khronos.

Comment

Just yesterday watched interesting presentation from Dave about state of CUDA, OpenCL, etc. on Linux.
        Dave Airliehttps://2019.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/182/CUDA has become the defacto standard for GPU compute in most fields. AI and Machine Learning ...

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk View Post
          Just yesterday watched interesting presentation from Dave about state of CUDA, OpenCL, etc. on Linux.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTq8wKnVUZ8

Comment

I wonder what is the difference between OpenCL and compute shaders. I'm no expert but it seems to me that they both do the same job.. what's the difference?

Edit: Google already has an answer for me: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...compute-shader
            Last edited by Creak; 07 August 2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              The adoption rate of newer OpenCL versions is very poor. Is their framework approach supposed to fix that? I cannot see that it would improve adoption if important features are not supported by all vendors.
              If OpenCL-Next follows Vulkan's approach the adoption should be much smoother than OpenCL, because newer features should be easier to implement.

Comment

And people balked at the idea of Metal being an infusion of OpenCL and low level API for graphics on OS X. Apple keeps moving rapidly forward while OCL languishes with the level of adoption support, creating tiers based upon the graphics cards as selling points for Compute capabilities or not.

Comment

The main question is: will OpenCL-Next be a completely different API like Vulkan is to OpenGL, or just a big upgrade - basically OpenCL 3.0?

Comment

Khronos should really bundle all of their APIs together. It’s a real pain having various versions of CL GL Vulkan video deciding not standardised together...

Comment

Working...
                    X