Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 4.2 Released With AV1 Decoding Support, GIF Parser

Phoronix: FFmpeg 4.2 Released With AV1 Decoding Support, GIF Parser

There hasn't been a new FFmpeg release since last November but that finally changed with FFmpeg 4.2 "Ada" being issued today as the newest major release for this multimedia open-source project...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...g-4.2-Released

Have there been many API changes with this release? That usually slows the rollout of new ffmpeg when the packages that rely on it's libraries have to be updated

Comment

I wonder whether AV1 and decoders for it are mature enough to warrant inclusion into FFMPEG. I wouldn't be surprised if the API will change, and the decoder will get significant performance boosts after getting optimized.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        I wonder whether AV1 and decoders for it are mature enough to warrant inclusion into FFMPEG. I wouldn't be surprised if the API will change, and the decoder will get significant performance boosts after getting optimized.
        Well, I do not feel like it shouldn't be included because it might get better; on the contrary!

It looks like they use libdav1d, which is one of the faster and more promising implementations.

Comment

Seems no mention of the poor Ryzen performance. Or was it actually fixed but just not explicitly mentioned?

Comment

Nano-typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            there is now support for HEVC 4:4;4 decoding with NVIDIA's NVDEC and CUDA,

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Well, I do not feel like it shouldn't be included because it might get better; on the contrary!

It looks like they use libdav1d, which is one of the faster and more promising implementations.
              They did add Support for libdav1d so you can enable it with --enable-libdav1d while compiling.

I dont think there will be a big performance boost. Dav1d is already realy fast on x86 with avx2 or SSSE3. Arm64 is getting better(720p30 without Problem. 1080p30 with dropped frames if there is a lot movement on the screen on my Odroid N2) And they did start with PowerPC
              There was a Release of Dav1d Yesterday

"0.4.0 brings large improvements in speed on ARM64 (up to 25% speedup) and minor improvements on SSE and ARM.
              It also improves the RAM usage quite significantly, sometimes more than halving the RAM used."
              Last edited by Toggleton; 08-06-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                dav1d is already pretty great. You can decode [email protected] fps on the vast majority AVX2 systems without any problem and high percentage of SSE3+ and that's enough for 99% of consumed video content out there.
                It's also fast enough for most higher-end ARM SoCs.
                Chrome and FireFox are already using it.

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

dav1d is already pretty great. You can decode [email protected] fps on the vast majority AVX2 systems without any problem and high percentage of SSE3+ and that's enough for 99% of consumed video content out there.
                  It's also fast enough for most higher-end ARM SoCs.
                  Chrome and FireFox are already using it.
                  I'm wondering if it can be decoded by GPU cores because I only have 4 CPU cores vs 384 GPU cores (some have 1000+ GPU cores). Despite the CPU cores being a lot faster the graphics card is still a lot more powerful because of so many cores. In the past the GPU would use up too much electricity but nowadays they're much more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm wondering if it can be decoded by GPU cores because I only have 4 CPU cores vs 384 GPU cores (some have 1000+ GPU cores). Despite the CPU cores being a lot faster the graphics card is still a lot more powerful because of so many cores. In the past the GPU would use up too much electricity but nowadays they're much more efficient.
                    Usually what people mean when they say the GPU is doing the decoding work, is hardware-accelerated decoding: specific hardware in your GPU to decode AV1. Unfortunately, those typically only come up in newer cards a couple years after a new format is out.

What you're saying is possible, though. CPUs and GPUs are not directly comparable (longer pipelines, lower clock, different architecture, including instruction set), and GPUs are better at highly parallel, predictable work. I don't think they fit video decoding very well, but it isn't a stretch to think that they could help with a subset of operations... But basically, you'd want newer hardware (hardware-accelerated video decoding offers the lowest power consumption).

Comment

Working...
                    X