Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD 0.19 Linux Wireless Daemon Picks Up New Features

Phoronix: Intel's IWD 0.19 Linux Wireless Daemon Picks Up New Features

IWD is the multi-year effort by Intel's open-source group to create a new Linux wireless daemon that could potentially replace WPA-Supplicant. IWD 0.19 is the new release available that arrived at the end of the weekend and carrying new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried using IWD to fix a password problem with my Broadcom wireless adapter, but either it hasn't worked out, or it requires to be activated manually.

Comment

I'm really hoping iwd will be essentially production ready in 2020 and distributions like Fedora start shipping it by default.

This video is a good explanation as to why iwd is an improvement over wpa_supplicant: The New Wi-Fi Experience for Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        I'm really hoping iwd will be essentially production ready in 2020 and distributions like Fedora start shipping it by default.

This video is a good explanation as to why iwd is an improvement over wpa_supplicant: The New Wi-Fi Experience for Linux
        I only watched the first 7 minutes, but the guy makes a lot of sense, I wish we had more devs like him catering to the user first, the technology second.

Comment

I've been using it for a while now, since NetworkManager got support for it. I don't see any difference in (re)connection times or otherwise.

The only issues I had were some crashes (fixed in the meanwhile) and a weird airport network that didn't show up in iwd's scan results.

Comment

> I'm really hoping iwd will be essentially production ready in 2020 and distributions like Fedora start shipping it by default.

Hi. NetworkManager/iwd/wpa_supplicant Fedora maintainer here.

For most use cases IWD already is production ready. I'm sure the upstream would like to hear should you encounter any problems. That said, it is unlikely to reach feature parity with wpa_supplicant anytime soon, and even then we've yet to see a compelling reason to switch. wpa_supplicant does its job well and it's actively maintained. It's also used well beyond Wi-Fi (e.g. for MACsec or 802.1x wired authentication).

It is likely that we'll be enabling IWD support by in Fedora 30 NetworkManager, but default to wpa_supplicant in forseable future. Those who don't mind missing functionality and prefer IWD for whichever reason will be able to pick whichever daemon they prefer.

Comment

A pity that I can't succeed in compiling this under Ubuntu 18.04

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I tried using IWD to fix a password problem with my Broadcom wireless adapter, but either it hasn't worked out, or it requires to be activated manually.
                Did you submit a bug report?

Comment

ive tried using it too and for some reason it remove my rtl8814 adapter (which was using wpa_supplicant), renames my 2 intel wifi adapters and i had no clue how to connect to a network on 5GHz. im guessing its impossible to specify bssid so its connecting to 2 GHz.
                  I wanted to test if IWD is capable to connect to 5GHz with the intels wifi cards.
                  wpa_supplicant is unable to do the job with both intels cards even though the signal is strong. my asus usb-ac68 connects to 5GHz without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
                    It is likely that we'll be enabling IWD support by in Fedora 30 NetworkManager, but default to wpa_supplicant in forseable future. Those who don't mind missing functionality and prefer IWD for whichever reason will be able to pick whichever daemon they prefer.
                    That sounds cool, I assume you meant Fedora 31 though? Is there a Fedora change proposal that documents how users will be able to switch between wpa_supplicant and iwd?

Thanks for maintaining those packages by the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X