Systemd 243 RC1 Brings Its PStore Service, Zen2/RdRand Workaround & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
    Good to see more great functionality and capabilities from the systemd people to make Linux far more customizable and powerful.

i never understood the anti-systemd hate. First of all systemd does not take away any control or flexibility, it adds control and flexibility and actually gives much more control over the boot process. You can still use sysv init of course, and it works beautifully in systemd. But systemd is infinitely customizable because of its bus based design, an init module can be programmed to respond to any series of events. Because its bus based any other event in the system can be watched for and be a prerequisite for triggering another event like starting a process. This makes things much more flexible. The declarative file format is often used but as well a custom init module could be written in any language to respond to events.

One of the prime examples of the dishonesty and deception of the anti-systemd hate is that some of them have the claim systemd is proprietary when its a 100% open source project. They also imply you cannot have a sys v init script to start services as if systemd is trying to take away that when it is fully supported in fact.
    I agree with everything you said except the SysV Init part. I run CrashPlan on Manjaro and have to create a custom SystemD service to start and stop it because it uses SysV, and it doesn't run at all. The problem is that with my script, and the ones in the AUR, you have to tweak the temp directory and turn off the sticky bit to restore files.

CrashPlan runs fine with SystemD on Ubuntu, and Manjaro has something called "systemd-sysvcompat" installed, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've inquired about in various places but never received any answers. I assume there's something simple I'm missing, do you know what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Wait until you discover ACPI tables . Waiting for HW vendors to fix their firmwares are unfortunately often a sleep(INFINITE);
      Code:
      int processCustomerReport() {
        while (1) {
          if (doWeFeelLikeIt) break;
        }
        fixFirmware();
        deliverUpdate();
        return 0;
      }

int main() {
        return processCustomerReport();
      }

Comment

systemd should run from the terminal in stand-alone mode with integrated snake game as a simple way to make sure it is performing nominally.

Comment

A systemd thread that didn't become a shit show, I am impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            A systemd thread that didn't become a shit show, I am impressed.
            You must have missed the deleted posts from page two yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Code:
              int processCustomerReport() {
              while (1) {
              if (doWeFeelLikeIt) break;
              }
              fixFirmware();
              deliverUpdate();
              return 0;
              }

int main() {
              return processCustomerReport();
              }
              Too few bugs to be from a real BIOS with ACPI!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You must have missed the deleted posts from page two yesterday.
                I did

Comment

support for MACsec, systemd-network-generator as a new tool, various other networking additions,
                  I'd say it's time to split all that into separate project... it just waaaaay too off the track from system initialization.
                  Last edited by SystemCrasher; 25 August 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X