Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XCP-ng 8.0 Hypervisor Released - Based On Xen 4.11, Embeds ZFS On Linux, Adds UEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCP-ng 8.0 Hypervisor Released - Based On Xen 4.11, Embeds ZFS On Linux, Adds UEFI

Phoronix: XCP-ng 8.0 Hypervisor Released - Based On Xen 4.11, Embeds ZFS On Linux, Adds UEFI

XCP-ng, the enterprise-focused hypervisor based on Xen Server that offers a web UI for management, scalability optimizations, live migration support, and other community features, is up to version 8.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is good news. Would you consider some benchmarking? I heard that xcp-ng also supports ext4 for local storage rather than the old ext3.

Comment

Hi Spam (nice nickname BTW )

I'm Olivier, XCP-ng project founder/leader. We are also working on the new storage stack (called "SMAPIv3") which is more modern, and we also have research running on integrating IO_URING inside this stack. Stay tuned!

Comment

Hi Oliver! Nice to see you active here on Phoronix.

I've heard of the new Smapiv3. Crossing my fingers it will mature nicely. Also, what cought my eye is the integration with or working with xen upstream. How will that work?

Comment

Nice! I'm the author of the old "Xen LiveCD v2.0"! I moved to QEMU a long time ago and lost interest in Xen but, these days, I'm seeing a growing need for machine replication in my work env and I'm thinking about Xen Remus. Does XCP-ng support Remus?
          If yes, what kind of shared storage it has? Something like DRBD+OCFS2?

Comment

@Spam: yeah, we are definitely working with upstream as much as we can. As you can imagine, it's not easy to be a newcomer in such small elite team of devs, but we are working toward this. Upstream is life, and we consider that an Open Source project MUST contribute upstream as far as it could. See our statement to become member of Linux Foundation (and Xen Project): https://lists.xenproject.org/archive.../msg01453.html

@ThiagoCMC Remus support is complicated. There's always latency issues between nodes when you want live RAM replication (if it's that what you have in mind). However, we had some discussions and it's likely we'll investigate in there. Our priority right now is to reach a critical mass (I think we achieved it in terms of community users, now it's for paid support, which is the revenue we'll invest 100% into the product, for R&D and improvements, see https://xcp-ng.org/blog/2018/12/19/x...ch-initiative/ )

Comment

Working...
            X