Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.2-ck1 Released Along With MuQSS 0.193 Scheduler

Phoronix: Linux 5.2-ck1 Released Along With MuQSS 0.193 Scheduler

Independent Linux kernel hacker Con Kolivas has released his newest "ck1" patch-set for the recently released Linux 5.2 kernel code-base. Complementing these kernel changes is his primary focus: the MuQSS scheduler that continues to aim for better interactivity and performance on mobile/desktop systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How well does this scale? I remeber CK's work used to focus on getting things working really well on machines with one or two cores - his justification, that the average desktop user was using that and upstream was focusing on getting HPCs with 1000s of CPUs running well

Does MuQSS work well with todays average PC? Or is it more suited to SBCs with fewer cores?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Does MuQSS work well with todays average PC? Or is it more suited to SBCs with fewer cores?
      Works well on a Ryzen 2700 (8 core/16 thread). The lower latency with rqshare=mc really helps with RPCS3 (which benefits from low inter-CCX latency in a big way). And the desktop window switching latency is noticeably lower which makes it worthwhile just for that reason.

However, there are lots of different workloads and it may not work better in all cases over the default scheduler (CFS).

Comment

Originally posted by scix View Post
        And the desktop window switching latency is noticeably lower which makes it worthwhile just for that reason.
        Could you please elaborate on that?

Comment

Anyone using this on Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
            Anyone using this on Fedora?
            I do!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I do!
              Would you care to elaborate ?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I do!
                Do you build your own kernel? The Copr repos I found were out of date or broken, last I looked.

Comment

Speaking of kernel 5.2.1, does anyone know how it broke KVM, and how to fix it?

I have a Windows 10 VM I've been running for a few years and it just freezes with kernel 5.2.1 with the good ol' "Your computer encountered an error" blue screen and I can't find anything about it on the Internet. It uses a passthrough NVidia GPU but even removing that didn't help.

I tried both my current 1809 and my old 1803 Windows 10 and they run fantastically on 4.19.x through 5.1.x, but just freeze with 5.2.x. I don't see anything about it in the conventional logs, and can never find anything in journalctl because you have to specifically know what to look for, so I just had to go back to kernel 5.1.18.

But I know one of you geniuses here must have the answer!

And no, I can't file a bug on it because I don't have any logs that can be included. So the bug report will just be ignored at best, or I'll be demeaned and insulted by some angry developer at worst.

So hopefully someone here can help.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Could you please elaborate on that?
                    I use a tiling manager, but "alt-tabbing" essentially. I.e. bringing a window into focus has less delay than with the default scheduler. It feels really nice, even if it's not going to change your productivity or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X