Systemd Introduces A New & Practical Service For Dealing With PStore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post

only 90 sec? for me sometimes it keeps increasing after each countdown due to failure to stop whatever is preventing it from shutdown/restart. also its nice to ctrl+alt+del has pressed for more than N times and forcing the restart but still nothing happens.
    are all these a "feature" of systemd?
    how did you change 90 sec to 10 sec?
    /etc/systemd/system.conf:

Code:
    [Manager]
    DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      I'd imagine that something is holding up shutdown and would be best to figure out what that is. That said, I've had this happen to me out of the box on an Arch Linux setup and could never figure out what the problem was.
      Nothing is, if I am sure. Typing "sudo poweroff" or "sudo reboot" from a terminal inside the X session is more likely to reproduce the issue.
      Maybe it's JACK, PulseAudio or something, but I don't know either...

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
        Seems cool - is there an actual alternative, really?
        ramoops has handled this for years. This seems duplicative and unnecessary.

Comment

tildearrow thank you. about the sudo shutdown/reboot i have to say that using sudo from terminal i've never got hang on the reboot/shutdown. or at least i don't remember to hang....if it ever happened.

Comment

michael, why do you write so loaded everytime you mention systemd? it's like reading a gossip magazine

Comment

Originally posted by blae View Post
              michael, why do you write so loaded everytime you mention systemd? it's like reading a gossip magazine
              Clickbait

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I would like to add one more thing: the random 90-second delay to shutdown due to a user session getting stuck on nothing. I have worked around this problem, however, by setting the max stop time to 10s.

Troll-Free Thread! As of now let's try to do our best to prevent the trolls from turning this into another 10-page thread and have a nice, clean systemd comment page for once.
                mmm, interesting i use systemd and ArchLinux but my PC don't take that long to shutdown(more like 10s OOB) except when either ZFS is scrubing or Plex is indexing something and i use gnome 3.32.2 as default desktop.

would be interesting to see which service is messing the shutdown because probably you have an circular reference between services

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  would be interesting to see which service is messing the shutdown because probably you have an circular reference between services
                  None. The shutdown gets stuck at "A stop job is running for Session X of user User".

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

None. The shutdown gets stuck at "A stop job is running for Session X of user User".
                    Try switching to cgroups v2. Empty cgroup notification is better, and a lot of this kind of bug goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                      Yes this has to be one of the worst pain-points with systemd that seemingly has had no attention paid to it.

The same goes for system startup waiting for 90s something that clearly won't start, I wish they would offer a key combination or something that would allow me to continue shutdown/startup. I understand there may be services that depend on the hung service, so print out all services affected by skipping and ask for confirmation.
                      The problem with this one is there may be legitimate reasons a program won't start/stop within 10s. Uncommon reasons, but enough so systemd has to play it safe and let you lower that limit on your own. The only solution to this would be programs reporting how much time they need to start/stop so that systemd can compute a reasonable timeout interval. But I don't see that ever being implemented, too many parties to get on board.

Comment

Working...
                      X