Systemd Introduces A New & Practical Service For Dealing With PStore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Introduces A New & Practical Service For Dealing With PStore

Phoronix: Systemd Introduces A New & Practical Service For Dealing With PStore

Adding to the list of new features for systemd 243 is another last-minute addition to this growing init system... Systemd picked up a new service and while some may view it as bloat, should be quite practical at least for those encountering kernel crashes from time to time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems cool - is there an actual alternative, really?

Comment

I just want to point out that systemd is the best thing that happened to the GNU/Linux ecosystem in the last decade 🙏

Clean, maintainable, well structured code that has a ton of functionality.
      More projects should be like systemd!

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        I just want to point out that systemd is the best thing that happened to the GNU/Linux ecosystem in the last decade 🙏

Clean, maintainable, well structured code that has a ton of functionality.
        Yes, from this point of view, I like it too, but still I think that there are still many things that could be added or improved.
        I hope that they could do something about security too.
        I mean I hope that they can do something to allow us to define rules for programs to specify what they are allowed to access and what not, like on Android.
        The same for the network side, make a simple to use firewall where we can specifiy which programs (not ports) are allowed to transfer data in and out on local network and internet.
        At the same time I hope that the desktop environments will take more advantage of the features systemd offers and make nice graphical control panels for it.
        Hopefully will replace one day also GRUB and will allow us to reboot into other operating systems directly from the current one.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Hopefully will replace one day also GRUB and will allow us to reboot into other operating systems directly from the current one.
          But to do that you'd already need to have booted into the current OS with GRUB. And you can boot into another OS at boot anyway.

One interesting case is that, if you clone two Linux drives, GRUB can't seem to distinguish which one's which and boots into one or the other randomly. It would be handy if you could, in OS, select which UUID to boot into next somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Yes, from this point of view, I like it too, but still I think that there are still many things that could be added or improved.
            I would like to add one more thing: the random 90-second delay to shutdown due to a user session getting stuck on nothing. I have worked around this problem, however, by setting the max stop time to 10s.

Troll-Free Thread! As of now let's try to do our best to prevent the trolls from turning this into another 10-page thread and have a nice, clean systemd comment page for once.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I would like to add one more thing: the random 90-second delay to shutdown due to a user session getting stuck on nothing. I have worked around this problem, however, by setting the max stop time to 10s.[/SIZE]
              Yes this has to be one of the worst pain-points with systemd that seemingly has had no attention paid to it.

The same goes for system startup waiting for 90s something that clearly won't start, I wish they would offer a key combination or something that would allow me to continue shutdown/startup. I understand there may be services that depend on the hung service, so print out all services affected by skipping and ask for confirmation.

Comment

I would like to add one more thing: the random 90-second delay to shutdown due to a user session getting stuck on nothing. I have worked around this problem, however, by setting the max stop time to 10s.

Troll-Free Thread! As of now let's try to do our best to prevent the trolls from turning this into another 10-page thread and have a nice, clean systemd comment page for once.
                I was looking at how other init systems dealt with this but not sure if the way it was handled was different or more aggressive. I find 90 seconds a tad insane but I'm not sure what would be a fair value. 30s might be a safe bet but still pretty long.

I'd imagine that something is holding up shutdown and would be best to figure out what that is. That said, I've had this happen to me out of the box on an Arch Linux setup and could never figure out what the problem was.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                  systemd should be like more projects!

That said, this is a useful feature which one could enable/disable at will.
                  Last edited by dreich; 20 July 2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

only 90 sec? for me sometimes it keeps increasing after each countdown due to failure to stop whatever is preventing it from shutdown/restart. also its nice to ctrl+alt+del has pressed for more than N times and forcing the restart but still nothing happens.
                    are all these a "feature" of systemd?
                    how did you change 90 sec to 10 sec?

Comment

Working...
                    X